Pulled off airlock a couple of days in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
OK, so for starters i'm doing a 2 gallon batch in a Mr. Beer fermenter. Was attempting to make a batch of Apfelwein but when i stopped by the LHBS they didn't have the right yeast, so now i suppose i'm just making Hard Cider with wine yeast.

When i went out to check on my fermenter, in case it was lonely or god forbid had an infection i noticed a small trail of ants going up to my fermenter and circling around the lame lid/Airlock thing. Fearing for my Hard Cider, i used a wet rag on the fermenter and Sprayed Raid all around where the fermenter was.

But during all of this a few kept going under the lid so i pulled it off and killed off one of the few ants hanging around the spiral bit where the cap screws on. Luckily i didn't see any ants in the batch but after having done all that i realized Yeast isn't supposed to get any extra air after fermentation starts.

Sooo... how worried should i be? it's really only like 2-3 days in. I mean i guess there's the possibility of an infection, and possibly a few ants may have gotten into it while i was being as diligent as possible. But, what i'm really worried about is the air that got in.

I've never pulled an airlock off early before so i'm kind of freaking out.

A little air is not going to hurt your beer at this point. More CO2 comes out than air can get in unless you .. I don't know, forcefully blew air in and deleted the CO2 layer. I'm more concerned with the Raid you used to kill the ants. Any chance it got into your brew?

You're going to have to let this one ride. Pretty sure you haven't harmed it.

I was a little worried about the raid in the beer, so i was pretty careful about the whole thing. Shouldn't have had any chance of raid getting in the beer. Top was on the whole time i was getting rid of the ants and i even moved the fermenter before i pulled the lid off.

Alright thanks, it's just 2 days in and i was hoping to let it go for a couple of months.. but with the ants it kind of scared me a little.. although after a few days of there being no ants maybe i'll let it go the whole 2 months. It's not like i can bottle at this point even if i wanted to.

Back