First attempt to make my own recipe DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everdead

Reaction score
My friend had already bought a kit of the Brewer's best DIPA but I wanted to change it up. That's why some of the choices might look a little odd since I am including some already purchased parts.

Batch: 5 Gallon, Boil Time: 90min

Steep Grains:
4oz Caramel 20L
8oz Caramel 40L
12oz Cara-Pils

Malt Extract:
9.9lbs Pale Liquid Extract

Extras:
1lb Corn Sugar
1 Whirlfloc Tablet

Hops:
1oz Cascade - FWH
2oz Warrior and 1oz Citra - Continuous hop for first 45 minutes
2oz Centennial and 1oz Citra - Continuous hop for last 45 minutes
1oz Cascade and 1oz Citra - at Flame out for 10 minutes before cooling and transfer

Yeast:
2 packages of WLP001

BeerSmith puts this recipe stats at:
SG: 1.088
FG: 1.015
ABV%: 9.6
IBUs: 102.1(wasn't sure how to add the after flame out additions so this may be off)

Mainly wanting to know if this looks reasonable and if this will be a good hoppy Double IPA. BeerSmith shows that I am in the style which was one thing I was trying to watch. This is the 4th beer I have made so just looking for confirmation that I am not way off base and if I am how to fix it.

Thanks

You're not way off base, but your recipe and processes could definitely be simplified and yield better results. For instance, you don't need three different types of caramalts, especially because there is already a decent amount of carapils already in extract.

Continuous hopping wouldn't yield the best results for an aromatic DIPA, especially with Citra used so early in the boil. I would use a small bit of Warrior early, then all of your C hops late and in the dryhop. A good portion of your extract should be added late in the boil as well to boost hop utilization and prevent excess wort darkening.

Do you want something this big? I doubt you'll hit 1.015 FG with all that extract, no control over mash temp, and no yeast starter to hit the ground running.

The Cascade and Citra were going to be dry hop before I started reading about adding them at flame out and letting them sit for 10 min before the final wort cooling.

This is the article: Hoppy Beers and Whirlpooling

Do both for best results.

I let my whirlpool hops sit between 100-160 F for about 25 minutes.

But I think a dryhop is definitely necessary for this style of beer if you ask me. For other styles, not so much.

Thanks Bob.

So something more like:
1oz Cascade - FWH
1oz Warrior - 90min
1oz Warrior - 75min
1oz Citra - 60min
.5oz Citra / Centennial - 15min
1oz Centennial - 5 min
.5oz Citra / Centennial Whirlpool
1oz Citra / Cascade Dry hop

Also the reason for the different malts was me wanting a lower coloring and as I mentioned I already had 40L from the double IPA kit. My friend and I wanted to have a good high ABV beer. I guess I could lower some of it but I wanted it to be close to 10% if possible.

I would use 2 oz minimum dry hop on an IPA this big. I dry hop with 2oz of C-hops in my 1.074 IPA and it could still use more.

Sorry, guess the way I wrote those is confusing.

I mean 1oz of both citra and cascade not .5oz of each to make 1 oz. That applies to the other ones where I put two hops at once as well.

0.75 to 1 oz Warrior - 60min
0.75 to 1 oz Warrior - 30 min
1 to 1.5 oz Cascade - 10min
1 to 1.5 oz Centennial - 10min
1 to 1.5 oz Citra - Whirlpool
1 to 1.5 oz Centennial - Whirlpool
3 to 4 oz mixed Cascade, Centennial, Citra Dry hop

...with 8 % total cara malts tops, including the carapils already in your extract. Not sure why you're doing a 90 min. boil for an extract beer.

bobbrews said:
0.75 to 1 oz Warrior - 60min
0.75 to 1 oz Warrior - 30 min
1 to 1.5 oz Cascade - 10min
1 to 1.5 oz Centennial - 10min
1 to 1.5 oz Citra - Whirlpool
1 to 1.5 oz Centennial - Whirlpool
3 to 4 oz mixed Cascade, Centennial, Citra Dry hop

...with 8 % total cara malts tops, including the carapils already in your extract. Not sure why you're doing a 90 min. boil for an extract beer.

+1! Boil for 60 min. I'd do the 1 oz warrior at 60 min then follow bob's schedule but maybe move his 30min addition to 20 min. I also agree that you may have a tough time getting this to attenuate enough due to the extract. Use good healthy yeast starter and cross your fingers. Good luck!

Honestly, I had no reason for the 90min boil other than I have been researching a lot of DIPA. Staring most of the time at the DFH 90min clones. Glad you mentioned it, caused me to do research.

Your hop additions look purposeful, ill give it a try. Now more time researching how to make a good starter from this WLP001. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Especially if you have any other good suggestions to get all the work out of the yeast to finish.

Thanks for all the great information everyone.

As an all-grain brewer, 90 minute boils are good for high gravity beers. We can sparge with more water, collect more wort, and then boil longer to compensate. This improves our extract efficiency on beers where it would otherwise be poor. The only expense is the extra 30-35 minutes, and an extra half gallon of water.

For an extract brewer, there isn't much point to a 90 minute boil. I would definitely advocate adding most or all of your extract late in the boil to increase your hop utilization. But ya, a 90 minute boil isn't doing anything for you.

Back