This IPA is really good. Never brewing extract again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I really only went all grain because it felt right and was hoping a little better brew would be icing on the cake. Man, I can't wait to get home from work to pull another pint of this IPA.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.0 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.50 lb Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (70 min) Hops 49.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (2 min) (Aroma
Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade Leaf [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Bitterness: 57.4 IBU Calories: 231 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.8 SRM

My mash temp was a little low so it dried out more than I wanted, but it's not anywhere near bad. I love the nose on it from the dry hop and this beer is getting better ever day that it ages. My only disappointment is that most of my family and friends would pull a bitter beer face on me because IPAs are such an aquired taste.

Its posts like this that make me sad that I don't have the room to go AG.

Someone please reassure me that partial mash is good enough! :p

Congrats on your beer man, I'd love a pint of an AG IPA right now :)

Nope not good enough - you need to go AG. Sorry for being such an EAC. ;)

Bobby - good to hear it turned out so well. Was that your first one? It's always the best!

Rook said:

Any homebrew is better than commercial swill.

Extract is better than store bought.
Partial Mash is better than pure extract.
All grain is better than PM.
10 gallon is better than 5 gallon.
A converted keggle is better than a SS pot.

There is always something better than what your doing, but what you're doing is better than most.

Rook said:

I haven't done my AG yet, but my PM IPA is turning out to be the best IPA I've ever had...and I've spent the past two months testing every IPA I can get my hands on. I actually went as far as to have my local market order me some Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, of course I had to order a case of it. But I'm not too concerned as people on here rave about their IPA's.
Now I am hoping to have a couple bottles left so that in a couple months I can brew an AG version to see how it stacks up.

Dan

Bobby_M said:
I really only went all grain because it felt right and was hoping a little better brew would be icing on the cake. Man, I can't wait to get home from work to pull another pint of this IPA.

Congrats and welcome to the Club, the All Grain Club!

I love typing that! :D

There is always a step up from what you are currently doing, but even though I've had AG capability for years, I still do mini-mashes and extract. My 3CPA is extract, one grain, one extract, FIVE hops (maybe six, depends on the dry hopping).

I like mini-mash the best, though in the summer, I do AG and fire up the smoker at the same time.

david_42 said:
There is always a step up from what you are currently doing, but even though I've had AG capability for years, I still do mini-mashes and extract. My 3CPA is extract, one grain, one extract, FIVE hops (maybe six, depends on the dry hopping).

I like mini-mash the best, though in the summer, I do AG and fire up the smoker at the same time.
Yeah I can't really see myself doing AG every brew because I have a new baby and I can't afford to spend all day brewing AG. But I hope to brew an AG brew every couple of months in between PM's.

Dan

boo boo said:
Man, you got my mouth watering for a hoppy pale ale right now.

Congrats.
I just brought home the case of DFH 60 min and am chilling them as we speak.

Can't wait to try them!

Dan

Willsellout said:
Yeah I can't really see myself doing AG every brew because I have a new baby and I can't afford to spend all day brewing AG. But I hope to brew an AG brew every couple of months in between PM's.

Dude, just bring the squid out into the garage while you brew. You've got a play pen, bouncy seat, etc., don't you. This'll give mom a nice needed break and you get the best of both worlds - quality daddy time and quality baby time -- all at the same time. Brewing leaves you plenty of "down time" to make stupid faces, feed, and change poopy diapers. Of course you may end up calling your beer "blowout APA" or "baby powder porter". ;)

My youngest is now 6 and he enjoys "helping" me brew. It's become part of our guy time, and there's always time to play pitch, jump on the trampoline, or look at bugs or something in between steps, and I still get done in 4 hours or less.

Yeah the last PM I did took me about 6 hours not including cleanup. I could see myself doing more AG as I get my program down, because my ultimate goal is to brew as cheaply as possible:).

Dan

At a boy Bobby! Nothing like a good IPA!
I'm actually considering an IPA for my next batch.
Your recipe looks mighty nice. :D
Did you get your ingredients form the Brewers apprentice?

Don't let having a kid stop you from progressing your hobby. They sleep alot and there are many lulls in the all grain process. 60 minute mash? Go feed, burp and change the diaper, back to sleep. Brew on.

I got my bulk 2-row from Brewer's Apprentice but all my specialty grains came from brewbyu.com. I mean 50 lbs worth of miscellaneous grains was only $14 to ship. I think the reason I love this batch so much is the cascade dry hop. I mean, you either love it or hate it.

Back