Check out this Stainless Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like a Keggle to you?

brew-kettle-226x300.jpg

This looks like a Keggle to you?

brew-kettle-226x300.jpg

Yep. Look at the dimensions and the capacity of it. Heck look at the bottom. This easily could be done with a keegle.

Edit: Fact is you get better capacity out of a keggle.

I really don't see what you are seeing.

I own a fairly modified keggle and I am in contact with John about buying one of his kettles.

First off, the kettle is 19.2 gallons of capacity. It has a deeper domed bottom than a keggle. He offers a tangential whirlpool inlet.

All his connections to the kettle do not contain threads. His piping to valves are far enough away from the kettle to avoid being damaged by direct heat from a burner.

The items are made in China and imported to this country. He may be able to have a kettle custom built, but it will take a lot of time.

If you can build a similar item for a similar price, I would be interested in talking to you.

OK. I can't argue the points you make. Obviously they are comparable if not the same. But IMHO this looks way better than a Keggle.

Smooth sides, nice handles, no cutout on top.

One thing I have not heard about these though is the thickness of the metal. I'd guess that a Keggle would win on that point.

On a side note. I am considering the 19.8 gal. a bit more volume than a Keggle.

Unless you will make me something better. I have seen your work and am truly impressed. Would love to have a set of pots made by you.

I really don't see what you are seeing.

I own a fairly modified keggle and I am in contact with John about buying one of his kettles.

First off, the kettle is 19.2 gallons of capacity. It has a deeper domed bottom than a keggle. He offers a tangential whirlpool inlet.

All his connections to the kettle do not contain threads. His piping to valves are far enough away from the kettle to avoid being damaged by direct heat from a burner.

The items are made in China and imported to this country. He may be able to have a kettle custom built, but it will take a lot of time.

If you can build a similar item for a similar price, I would be interested in talking to you.

I see 9.2 not 19.2. A sanitary fitting or sanitary nipple can be had easy. If a 19.2 gallon kettle by John has a deeper bottom it is cause it hold more. If a burner has enough gumption then any fitting is in danger. Again, I am not out to bash anyone here. Not even close. I just don't see the difference.

OK. I can't argue the points you make. Obviously they are comparable if not the same. But IMHO this looks way better than a Keggle.

Smooth sides, nice handles, no cutout on top.

One thing I have not heard about these though is the thickness of the metal. I'd guess that a Keggle would win on that point.

On a side note. I am considering the 19.8 gal. a bit more volume than a Keggle.

Unless you will make me something better. I have seen your work and am truly impressed. Would love to have a set of pots made by you.

IIRC the thickness falls around .040-.045". The same as a keg. This is one of the reasons I can't fathom the fascination with them. Everything seems to fall in the same line as a keggle.

Does smooth sides really matter in the function of the kettle? As for built in handles... I would much rather have some, that don't protrude from the sides. A cut out top.......Do you really plan on using a lid during the boil? Do you really want DMS in your beer?

As for the mash tun.....I have cut, as I am sure others have cut the tops off of keggles that eliminate the top and allow full diameter to the bottom. Now I will admit that there is a small diameter difference in a keegle in the various spots. For instance the area where the "bead" is formed is a bit smaller in diameter then the center in between the beads. However if this is planned for then the false bottom will fit and preform just fine.

As far as you and me doing business on a set of pots. Bring it on friend. I will let you know up front. I am just a weldor. I have no means of forming or rolling material. That will need to be farmed out. All I have is a very old welding machine and a couple of purge tanks.

You have any ideas? I'm looking for something better than Keggles.

From what I've seen so far, for the money these would be hard to beat.

You ask the question yet you avoid mine.

I would agree that for the money this SS option is hard to beat but, from a money vs usability stand point......I don't see the benefits. Plus the quality. Now maybe I am just bi-est in the quality dept, but fusion welds are easy to come by IMO. I love my plastic conical's and with oxy-clean I don't have to touch them. Less money and they weigh less, along with less of a temp swing due to conductivity. As far as ideas go, what did you have in mind? IIRC, when you double the diameter of a cylinder, you quadruple the volume.

I have one of these Kettles. it's 9.2 gal, nice cone at the bottom to whirlpool in and the outlet is above so as to not draw trube yet drain fully.

Connections and welds are fantastic! No cleaning issues.

With the extra welded bottom ring, heating on a burner is fast and efficient. The flame wraps the cone and even heat applied and captured nicely by the sides.

It's smaller than a Keggle. But perfect for 5/6 gal finnish batches.

Now if I could just afford one or more of his conicle fermenters...:cross::cross: they are lovely!

But to be honest, what ever set up works for you, if you are able to make good beer... well it doesn't mater what you brew in.

Cheers :mug:

I'll be right back with the link to the thread where I found this. The guy is a member here, he joined during this thread.

Here is a clipping from it by him about the thickness. 1mm is .03937" So 1.2x.039=.0468"

"The thickness of the conical tanks and brew kettles (7.3/14.5 gallon and 9.3 gallon sizes) are 1.2 mm. Other features have thicker material as required".

Edit: here is that link.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stainless-conicals-oregon-150072/

Warning Thread Hijack - well not really, its still about conicals, just not this one.

Admit I did not do a search, but was wondering if anyone can comment on the "ultimate" conical fermenter from B3 - the one with 2 jackets cooling contraptions that can cool to 50 degrees below ambient temp?
Was thinking about buying one (ok dreaming about buying one).

TD

Warning Thread Hijack - well not really, its still about conicals, just not this one.

Admit I did not do a search, but was wondering if anyone can comment on the "ultimate" conical fermenter from B3 - the one with 2 jackets cooling contraptions that can cool to 50 degrees below ambient temp?
Was thinking about buying one (ok dreaming about buying one).

TD

Sure, what do you want to know about them?

I got my conical like this one last night. Look great! Unfortunately it'll be a few weeks before I get to use it.

Jason-

I see you are affiliated with the B3 site? I was sort of looking for unbiased opinions of folks who actually have that ultimate conical. THe added cost I think offsets the cost of an extra fridge to some degree. In order for me to brew lagers, I need a conical and a fridge or a refrigerated conical. I've tried in my mini fridge with temp control and the break material during lagering always gets mixed up when I move the carboy around to rack. I've bought some carboy caps that can be used to force rack, though I am reluctant to use them for this for fear that I might accidentally overpressure the carboy and it'll blow up. Anyway, the Conical would probably be inthe garage and it gets up to 100 degree during summer in there, here in Florida.

You have any references that I could speak with or email about their experience with the conical?

TD - yeah I am the manager for the MoreBeer side of things, and I happen to own a heated/cooled conical, but I would guess you would rather talk to a non-employee about it :)

Let me poke around and see if I can find anyone I know that I can ask that. I'll let you know in a bit

I've bought some carboy caps that can be used to force rack, though I am reluctant to use them for this for fear that I might accidentally overpressure the carboy and it'll blow up.

Just FYI, this is exactly what I do. I start with 0psi and slowly increase till flow starts. I'm never over 2psi, usually under. Chances of breaking the carboy are slim at that pressure.

Without being any kind of a jerk........can I ask why everyone is so excited about this guys equipment?

It's shiny. It's expensive. This is America.

Seriously, I don't know what he's going to do with it without
a walk-in fridge to go with it. Or maybe another $3,000 on
a glycol cooling jacket?

Ray

Im not promoting this specific conical - but you do realize that you can fit conicals into a normal stand-up freezer that can be had brand new for ~$400.

Add a temp controller and you might be around $500. And if you have the patience, get the freezer on craigslist for a fraction of the price.

A 42g conical can fit into most 20-21cuft stand up freezers.

It's shiny. It's expensive. This is America.

Seriously, I don't know what he's going to do with it without
a walk-in fridge to go with it. Or maybe another $3,000 on
a glycol cooling jacket?

Ray

Im not promoting this specific conical - but you do realize that you can fit conicals into a normal stand-up freezer that can be had brand new for ~$400.

Add a temp controller and you might be around $500. And if you have the patience, get the freezer on craigslist for a fraction of the price.

A 42g conical can fit into most 20-21cuft stand up freezers.

That's good to know, thanks. I don't brew on those scales so
I don't know much about it.

Ray

That's good to know, thanks. I don't brew on those scales so
I don't know much about it.

Ray

I take it back, I didn't realize how small it was. I thought it was
for brewing 7 bbl sized batches, not 7 gallons!

Now I wonder, why would you want to spend that much money
for a 7 gallon fermenter? You could spend $25 for an aluminum
pot with a cover and ferment in that.

Ray

Did you have any issues dumping the trub or yeast? I was wondering if the bottom valve clogged easily. it's 3/4", right?

Sorry for my late response, been out of town for a while...but no issues with dumping the yeast. 3/4 is fine, although it takes a sec or two to let gravity do it's work.

Yeast harvesting, dumping of trub, no transfering for secondary, stainles not plastic, plus they are cool. :tank:

The conical makes sense if you're brewing 100hl
and have pumps to move yeast slurries and the
beer. Whether you secondary or not, you still
have to move the beer out of there, but other
than saving some effort in getting a siphon going,
it hardly seems worth the money for 5 gallon batches.
What does stainless do for you that glass or aluminum
can't do? I think this tamale steamer would make a
great primary:

http://www.target.com/Imusa-Kitchen/b?ie=UTF8&node=492363011

The insert would do the same thing as beechwood chips,
provide more surface area for the yeast to sit on and
do their thing.

Ray

can't do? I think this tamale steamer would make a
great primary:

Well, for me the open shape and removable tank on these allows me to clean it way faster, easier and more thoroughly than glass carboys, even when considering all the tri-clover fittings.

can't do?

If you don't want a conical - and think we are batty for wanting one - fine. But we were discussing a particular conical.

SS is easier to clean that aluminum for me and I hate glass.

Do I need a conical, no. But I bought one of these anyway.

Feel free to start a "do conicals make sense to homebrewers" thread, but try to stay on topic in this thread.

Sorry for my late response, been out of town for a while...but no issues with dumping the yeast. 3/4 is fine, although it takes a sec or two to let gravity do it's work.

Good to know. I got a draft-line-cleaning brush (long and thin) if I need to coerce it to start. Sigh, will still probably be a bit before I can try mine.

Feel free to start a "do conicals make sense to homebrewers" thread, but try to stay on topic in this thread.

Ok, but the title of the thread is "check out this stainless conical fermenter"
and it's in the Equipment/Sanitation section, so it would seem to invite
discussion of conical fermenters and their pros and cons.

Ray

I purchased the small version and just finished my first batch.

I had a little trouble getting the trub out, but I had left it for a little more than two weeks so I'll try to flush it out a little sooner next time.

Fermenter worked exactly as advertised and was super easy to clean afterward. Just had to break the crud off the top and it will be ready for round two tomorrow.

Nice equipment for the price.

I received mine yesterday. I like it!... It looks well worth the price..

I would prefer some sort of clamping system for the lid... But I'm not complaining, glad i bought it!

IMG_7920.jpg

Ok, but the title of the thread is "check out this stainless conical fermenter"
and it's in the Equipment/Sanitation section, so it would seem to invite
discussion of conical fermenters and their pros and cons.

Ray

rayg I see what you are saying but this is not a pro/con discussion. This is just a thread that started as a promotion for a good stainless conical for a great price. If you want to continue to use glass and deal with the harvesting and cleaning downsides, then more power to you. I just wanted to let other homebrewers know about a nice deal and great customer service I received.

Yeah, it seals fine. I've done three brews with it so far, with no problems.

I'm so glad I bought it... :mug: A great piece of equipment for the price.

No more siphon or scrubbing carboy with carboy brush was worth it to me.

This thing is super easy to clean!

The last post appears to have nothing to do with this thread.

This thread is not about peliter chilled fermenters, which are unrelated to the conicals here.

Back