Clone Brews by Szamatulski

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
Has anyone made any of these recipes? What're your thoughts on them? It seems a little odd to me that every singe recipe, when converted to AG, calls for a mash at 150 and a 90 min boil. What gives? You would think certain styles would call for a different mash temp. Or at least a decoction here or there.

The Szamatulskis (Mark and Tess) own the LHBS store I use and it's where my wife got the kit that started me into this nuttiness. My first couple extract brews, I followed the directions to a T. Did some PMs and made my own adjustments, based largely on what I learned on HBT. A little software and a few tweaks and you're good to go.

I have found their clones to be excellent approximations.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the directions are only a guideline. Do what you think is best.

The Szamatulskis were on Basic Brewing sometime ago. They said that when they first did Clone Brews the publisher/editor cut alot of stuff out and dumbed alot down. They said the selfpublished (or at least had a lot more input into) Beers Captured and it's much more acurate.

Now I don't know if they were BS'ing to sell more of their new book/cover up old mistakes. Probably not. They seem pretty sincere. But what I took from it was to take every recipe from Clone Brews with a grain of salt.

Not to hijack the thread but my question is that on almost all light Lagers they say add like 250 g of "German Pale Crystal 2.5 L" (I'm at work so I'm guessing at the numbers) The lowest Crystal I've ever seen is 10 L. I thought maybe they were talking about Cara-Pils which is about that colour but they speifically mention Cara-Pils else where and once I think they mention both in one recipe.

Rudeboy

I brewed the clone of sam adams summer ale and it was awesome. Also brewed the snpa , not as close to target, but good.

Back