Would any one like to critique my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King of Cascade

Reaction score
I’m brewing this on Sunday and need some real opinions on what I’m trying to do. I know a lot of people will say there are too many different malts or too much crystal. The recipe only has base malt, crystal and some toasted malt but I split it up. The crystal has four different degree lovebonds but I added them all up and divided by four to get 65 degree L. the base malt I tried to keep authentic but I through in some Marris otter and Mild malt for malt complexity. Is this over doing it or is this a good recipe?

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
32.0 8.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
28.0 7.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
20.0 5.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
4.0 1.00 lbs. KilnAmber Malt France 1.032 20
4.0 1.00 lbs. Marris Otter UK 1.038 4
4.0 1.00 lbs. Mild Malt Great Britain 1.037 4
2.0 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich 80 France 1.034 120
2.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
2.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.033 90

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Magnum Whole 14.00 13.6 60 min.
3.00 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 2.60 15.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 2.60 1.7 20 min.

10 gallons, I'm assuming?

At 70% efficiency, 10 gallons, that'd be about 1.069 SG, 13.6 SRM, 27.8 IBU (Rager), 6.2% abv.

That's an awful lot of different stuff in there... I have no clue how it'd taste. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in.

It would help to know what you are trying to make.

Throwing in the Maris Otter and Mild Malt for complexity isn't really necessary, you should have enough complexity in there as it is.

what is the kilnamber? never tried it...hmm. "belgian amber roast"

sounds interesting.

looks like a fine recipe to me. nice and crisp from the pilsner with the small amount of maltiness coming through from the kilned malts. i don't know about all the crystal, tho.

is this a lager? what yeast are you using?

is this a leftovers batch? if not, i'd simplify it and get rid of some of those crystal malts.

that's just me, tho. i think it still looks tasty!

It would help to know what you are trying to make.

I think I'm going to call it an oktoberfest. I have a german lager yeast from a german pils I just brewed.

what is the kilnamber? never tried it...hmm. "belgian amber roast"

Its a toasted malt similar to victory

is this a leftovers batch? if not, i'd simplify it and get rid of some of those crystal malts.

yea...Im about to re up on my grain so I would like to use the grain this weekend.

cool. hope it's tasty...what yeast are you using?

WLP 830

I made a german pils with it and its time to trasfer so i would like to repitch it into something and with it being time to brew an oktoberfest I said what the hell.

Back