Champagne Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
I have done some searches and have seen some people have been succesful with champagne bottles. Can you cap with a bench capper or must you use a wing style?

Thanks..

If I remember correctly, you must use a bench capper. I think the ledge height is too different to use a wing capper.

-Todd

There are two kinds of champagne bottles you will encounter. Some are 29mm which you need a special capper for. Others, and this includes the 750ml bottles from Dogfish for example, can be capped with the usual "Red Baron" butterfly capper, but you need to switch around the plates that grab the neck.

Basically, if you can set the uncrimped cap on the bottle, then it should work. If the cap doesn't really sit on there, it's probably a 29mm bottle. There are special caps and cappers for those.

We're lucky enough to have two identical cappers, and we've set one's grabber plates to regular bottles and the other to champagne bottles and labeled them. Very handy.

I personally love champagne bottles. It makes the bottle look like something really special. Also, that's about how much beer I usually want at once and a convenient amount to share.

Cheers!

Moon

Back