Good brew day yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I had some leftover grains from previous batches and formulated a recipe around them:

-1 lb. chocolate malt
-1/2 lb. roasted barley
-1/2 lb. carapils
-5.5 lbs. dark DME
-WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast in a 1-pint starter
-3 oz. unknown hops that I picked from my aunt-in-law's place in September and froze (half for boiling, half for finishing)

I formulated the recipe (specifically, the amount of DME) to give me a target gravity of 1.060, and I ended up with 1.062. Hurrah. Pitched at around 70 degrees and it was bubbling away this morning. I smelled the airlock, and it smells HOPPY. I mean it smells like someone ate a bucket of hops and is burping in my face. Curious to see if it's too hoppy (is there such a thing?).

In other news, this is my first brew in well over a month, thanks to the holidays. Always good to come back. :D

ayrton said:
Curious to see if it's too hoppy (is there such a thing?).

Uh, no.

:D

Sounds great, didn't get a chance to brew yesterday despite nearly ideal conditions for mid-January. Sounds like it'll be an interesting brew at the very least.

Back