A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets Resurrect this thread!

Have 5 gallons of a 7.5% Stout with S-04. What to do with it?? Why not do this again? Going for 12.6% which will push the yeast for sure but got a plan.

Using basically the OP's recipe (adding 3lbs Dark DME) but with @isomerization vodka infusion technique with these items:

0.5 oz Cinnamon Stick
2 each Vanilla Bean (or due to $$$, extract)
4 oz Cacao Nibs
1.5 oz Ancho Pepper
.5 oz Pasillia Peppers
.5 oz Guagilla Peppers

Should be brewed Friday 4/19/21. Cheers!

That won't be anything like hunahpu. I'm all for it, send me one, but it's outside the topic.

What are the ideas to get closer.. besides the yeast?

I drank a ton of it a long time ago and it was like motor oil, and not really my style. But for sure, it had no spiceyness. I was at an open tap event where it was on top. I dumped :)

I have drank with Wayne Wambles many times, I might be able to track him down for advice for you. I could look into it.

I drank a ton of it a long time ago and it was like motor oil, and not really my style. But for sure, it had no spiceyness. I was at an open tap event where it was on top. I dumped :)

I have drank with Wayne Wambles many times, I might be able to track him down for advice for you. I could look into it.

I brewed years back, see previous posts. I didn't get a whole lot of spiciness (like say jalapeno would give) but, more then anything, I got tobacco from mine which settled after several months.

I had the real thing once and I did remember some spice in there. Of course, that was ages ago and a trillion more working Brain cells then so I could just be making that up.

Of course, @passedpawn, I will send you a couple!

@day_trippr Mine will probably be closer to 1.025-.30 I suspect.

Well, after some communication with both online and offline folks, decided on this approach with the flavors soaked in vodka.

- 0.5 oz Cinnamon Stick
- Vanilla (Brewer's Best) Extract to taste.
- 6-8oz Cacao Nibs
- .75 oz Ancho Pepper
- .25 oz Pasillia Peppers
- .25 oz Guagilla Peppers

Lets Resurrect this thread!

Have 5 gallons of a 7.5% Stout with S-04. What to do with it?? Why not do this again? Going for 12.6% which will push the yeast for sure but got a plan.

Using basically the OP's recipe (adding 3lbs Dark DME) but with @isomerization vodka infusion technique with these items:

0.5 oz Cinnamon Stick
2 each Vanilla Bean (or due to $$$, extract)
4 oz Cacao Nibs
1.5 oz Ancho Pepper
.5 oz Pasillia Peppers
.5 oz Guagilla Peppers

Should be brewed Friday 4/19/21. Cheers!

Funny enough I just kegged a 11% version of this as well, looking forward to a sample in a few weeks!

Sweet! What was you flavorings if you don't mind? As you may read, I'm still not quite sure what to do.

I kind of just used what I had on hand:

0.5 oz cinnamon stick
2 oz ancho chile
4 oz cacao nibs
4 vanilla beans

Have you ever heard of a tisane? Essentially doing a water instead of alcohol extraction, I guess with cinnamon it brings out a heat/spice element. Going to try adding some of that to the keg IF I’m not happy.

I kind of just used what I had on hand:

0.5 oz cinnamon stick
2 oz ancho chile
4 oz cacao nibs
4 vanilla beans

Have you ever heard of a tisane? Essentially doing a water instead of alcohol extraction, I guess with cinnamon it brings out a heat/spice element. Going to try adding some of that to the keg IF I’m not happy.

IDK, tisane looks like steeping to me. I'd be curious but are you happy with your outcome as is now?

IDK, tisane looks like steeping to me. I'd be curious but are you happy with your outcome as is now?

The base beer was excellent, but haven’t tried since adding the tincture.

I’m intrigued by the idea of layering in extra flavor profiles with the same ingredients. Just haven’t really heard of anyone doing that in brewing (was in a recent brewing magazine article).

I drank a ton of it a long time ago and it was like motor oil, and not really my style. But for sure, it had no spiceyness.
No spiciness? There's definitely some spiciness in Hunahpu. Cigar City thinks there is - Hunahpu's Imperial Stout – Cigar City Brewing

1618669042619.png

1618669081001.png

Back