Saison Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
It's time to brew a Saison! The non-snowstorm that is now leaving DC has me thinking of warmer months and I just concocted this saison recipe. Any feedback is appreciated.

3 gal
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.009
SRM: 6.4
IBU: 30.9
ABV: 6.0%
BU:GU .556

Saison du ete dore
5.5 lb Belgian Pils
1.0 lb Vienna
.5 lb Wheat malt
.2 lb crystal 80 (for color)

.4 oz Sorachi Ace @ 60
.25 oz Saaz @ 15
.25 oz Saaz @ 5

Pitch Wyeast 3711 at 70deg

I'm not sure how high I can get the temperature, but I'd try to get it as high as possible.

Thanks!

With 3711 I'd expect your beer to finish at 1.005 or below.

What's your reasoning on Sorachi for the 60 minute and Saaz for the late?

I'd always wanted to try it, and I think the lemony character would go nicely with a Saison. The saaz because it's a traditional saison hop and finishes nicely with 3711. After doing some more reading, I may dry-hop with the sorachi ace and move it to later additions.

DonRikkles said:
I'd always wanted to try it, and I think the lemony character would go nicely with a Saison. The saaz because it's a traditional saison hop and finishes nicely with 3711. After doing some more reading, I may dry-hop with the sorachi ace and move it to later additions.

That sounds like a good plan, sorry for not making a more constructive comment earlier.

Sorachi Ace and 3711. play well. together.

Some late additions will work great.

I ahve done several Saions with Sorachi Ace. Very tasty.

+1 on 3711's monstrous appetite. I'd mash higher than normal for a saison with that yeast. I did a session version (1.038) and mashed at 156 and it still dried out.

Looks good. I like to add some sugar to my Saisons to dry it out. But as mentioned above 3711 should get you a dry finish. I have a similar recipe with all Sorachi Ace in the plans.

+1 on 3711's monstrous appetite. I'd mash higher than normal for a saison with that yeast. I did a session version (1.038) and mashed at 156 and it still dried out.

I was thinking of mashing a bit lower, maybe 149-150. Would the residual sweetness with the higher temperatures really come through? Would it be better to give it more fermentable sugars at a lower temperature and make it work for the dryness?

Nothing with 3711 will be cloying. If you want any amount of maltiness, I'd mash a little higher. Mashing lower =dryness. mashing higher=more dextrines for body and mouthfeel. try 152 with this yeast, unless you want it really dry. It took a BDSA mashed at 153 from 1098 to 1005 for me (with 8% sugar).

Update:

Since I'm headed to the LHBS on Saturday morning, I wanted to get some last minute feedback on an updated grain bill. Based upon your suggestions and more research, I've modified the grain bill.

5.25 lb Belgian Pils
1.25 lb Munich
.5 lb wheat malt

Thoughts?

I just did a Saison with 3711 and mostly Sorachi Ace hops. I just bottled a week ago so I can't tell you how it is yet although the samples tasted pretty good. I can post the recipe if you're interested.

I'm doing extract, the 3711 took it from 1057 to 1008.

If you want to increase fermentation temp I have a cheap suggestion. I put my primary in a large plastic tub, filled it with water (like a swamp cooler) and used an aquarium heater. I did wrap the whole thing in a blanket. I was able to ferment at 75 F with an ambient temp of ~58 F. Whole setup costs ~$25 bucks. Aquarium heater from amazon and plastic rope handle tub from Walmart.

If you use the sorachi only at 60, you won't get it's lemonyness. You can add some at zero and/or in the dry-hop. I have a sorachi/saaz Saison right now that's nice. I swear it tastes different every time I try it.

If you want to ferment it hot, just pitch your yeast when the wort is under 90 degrees (don't do this if you're not using saison yeast!). Most of the heat-derived flavors are gained in the first day or two. Heating it up after that will quicken the pace, but not greatly alter the flavor.

new poster here - here is a recipe I used about 4 months ago

ABV 6.38%
IBU 26.28
SRM 8.75
OG 1.061
FG 1.000

5 gal batch:
9lb 2 row
.75 White Wheat
.75 Unmalted Wheat
.5 Flaked Oats
.5 Acidulated Malt
.5 Caramunich II
.25 Special B

125F 25 min rest
147F 75 min sach
Fly Sparge 170F

2 tsp black pepper, 6 oz clover honey, 2 qt of water steeped with clementine peels in last 5 minutes of boil

1oz Styrian Goldings 45 min
1oz New Zealand Pacifica 40 min

Notes: Black pepper up front, but quickly fades - 3711 taste with New Zealand hops/citrus character the rest of the way. Surprisingly enough - I could get that raisiny Special B character in the background - very easy to drink, tested on those who've only drank macro brewed beers :cross: - I'd say its comparable in taste and look to Southhampton Saison or St. Feuillien

Update: with one week in the fermenter, the 3711 took it from 1.059 to 1.003! I was shocked. The sample I pulled tasted great - good lemony flavor from the Sorachi Ace and spice from fermenting around 83.

3711 is truly a beast!

Back