1st partial mash questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz_monroe

Reaction score
I'm going to do my first partial mash next weekend or the following one. I don't have the right equipment for an all grain quite yet. I have a 5 gallon brew pot, and I don't have a wort chiller yet.

I'm thinking that I'd like to do a Belgian Wit since I really like that style. Would this style fit well for a partial mash? Anyone have a good partial mash recipe for this?

I'm not 100% sure that I have the process for a partial mash, so far I've only done extract with steeped specialty grain. This is the way I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll heat water to add into the grain. This should end up around 165 or so. Final temp will be dependent on temp of the grain and cooler, and quantity of grain.

Add this to the grain in the cooler. Verify it's the right temp and clamp on the lid for an hour.

Drain off the sweet wort. Add in 170-ish water and stir the grain bed up really well. Let sit for a couple minutes then drain off the water. Take a SG reading to determine the amount of DME that will be needed.

Procede just as I would for an extract batch.

Is this about right? Anything I'm missing? Since I won't be sure about the quantity of DME, how should I store the extra DME? Since I usually use corn sugar, how much of the extra DME would I need to use for bottling 5 gallons?

Thanks

fritz_monroe said:
I'll heat water to add into the grain. This should end up around 165 or so. Final temp will be dependent on temp of the grain and cooler, and quantity of grain.
You want the mash to rest somewhere within a couple of degrees of 154f. Usually this means adding somewhere around 165-170f water. Ballpark it, stir and check.. add ether cold water or boiling water to adjust it to move the temp if you miss.

Drain off the sweet wort. Add in 170-ish water and stir the grain bed up really well. Let sit for a couple minutes then drain off the water. Take a SG reading to determine the amount of DME that will be needed.
Again, you are looking for a temp of 170 in the grain, not the water you add. Since you have to bring the grain bed up to 170, you have to add water hotter than 170. Having some boiling and cold water hand can help again, just like mashing. Be careful of going to high or you'll start pulling out tannins.

Back