Help with my dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
I'm an AG brewer, and my dad got me 3 Brewer's Best kits for Christmas. While his heart was in the right place, I also got a new grain mill and a pH meter from other family members, so I'd rather brew AG. I figured, not a big deal. I'll just make the kits, and while they're not exactly what I was planning to brew, they would be good beers. Then I could get on to using my other new toys.

I opened the kits yesterday and there was a little slip in there saying that there may be some 2008 hops in the kit. I looked at the date codes on the Munton's LME cans (unhopped) and they were dated around September 2008. Basically, these kits are probably 2 years old. Who knows what they've been through.

My questions are:
Do I brew with these kits? I'd rather put my time investment into making good beer (to the best of my ability, equipment, and ingredients).

Do I just tell my dad that these kits are really old, and he shouldn't buy them anymore, or do I just not brew with them and tell him I did?

I think right now, I'm leaning towards doing an experimental 2 gallon batch with one of the cans, some fresh hops, and doing a short boil (maybe 20 or 30 minutes) with some big hop charges. Get it around 40 IBUs with some good hop flavor and aroma.

What are your thoughts?

I'd just hang on to them until you want to make an easy batch without pulling out all your AG stuff. But also tell your dad you can make beer with just grain now and don't need kits anymore, then maybe next time put a 50 lb bag of 2-row on your xmas list. Also have him over to brew with you - that'd be a gift back to him (and you).

if it where me i would actually brew the kits and tell dad not to get the kits from that place again.

That's jacked up, 2 year old hops? I would chuck that crap in the garbage, and brew the exact recipes all grain. Dad will be none the wiser, and he can sample some decent beer. Who needs to know? BTW where did this crap come from? Who sells two year old hops with their kits?

That's jacked up, 2 year old hops? I would chuck that crap in the garbage, and brew the exact recipes all grain. Dad will be none the wiser, and he can sample some decent beer. Who needs to know? BTW where did this crap come from? Who sells two year old hops with their kits?

I'm not sure where the kits came from. I don't have proof that the hops are 2 years old, but the LME definitely is. But here's the evidence on the hops:

"As we transition from the lean supply of hops from last year to the new 2008 crop, we will be adjusting certain hop schedules in Brewer's Best ingredient kits. In some kits we have reverted back to the hops we used in 2007 and we have also incorporated some new varieties for the 2009 ingredient kits. All hops used in Brewer's Best kits are appropriate for their style".

-LD Carlson

the extract should still be fine for yeast starters if you dont want to make a brew with them

I had an extract kit that I bought and it sat on my shelf for 3 years. Who knows how long it was on the shelf at the store before I bought it. I threw out the yeast and everything else it came with and just used the extract.

The beer turned out great.

The time investment for extract brewing is minimal - I'd make the kits and share them with Dad. Add fresh hops and switch out the yeast, if you want. Tell him you're brewing all grain now and tell him to get you something you want for that - bulk grains, all-grain kits, whatever.

Thanks for all of the help guys. It's good to have people around to bounce these things off of. I think my plan will be to brew with one of the kits with fresh hops and yeast. If it turns out bad, I'll actuall know what the extract twang tastes like (I've never picked it up). Either way, I need to tell my dat that I do AG now. He did brew with me once, but must not have been paying close attention. :)

Back