Heat Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven9026

Reaction score
When I built my heat stick to use in heating my mash water.I couldn't find a 1500 watt stainless steel element. I have been using one of the chrome plated ones from Home Depot, and have noticed it is starting to pit a little bit. Will it effect the taste of the water if the element continues doing this.. I don't want it to start adding a metallic taste to my wort.

Thanks,

Steven

I have the same one, and it looks pretty crappy at this point. I haven't noticed any off flavors from it (that I know of). Someone else might have a different opinion.

Thanks,, devilishprune. I remember way back when I started brewing, I had a enamel pot that I used for doing LME batches. It had a piece of the enamel break off of it and I didn't see it and every beer I did tasted like I had put a penny in my mouth.. It took a couple of beers to finally find it and a Stainless brew took care of the problem.

If you soak the element in a citric acid solution for a while and then work on it with a green scrubby, you can take it down to the copper under the chrome.

Before:

After (not very good lighting):

If you soak the element in a citric acid solution for a while and then work on it with a green scrubby, you can take it down to the copper under the chrome.

Before:

After (not very good lighting):

Brewing a few batches does the same thing.

Plus, it makes your insides all shiny when you drink the beer!

:rockin:

Back