First batch... Forgot the dry malt extract... Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpotter

Reaction score
I was brewing an EPA beer with a buddy of mine and I forgot to put in the dry malt extract. We did not notice until we had it in the primary fermenter. It is bubbling like crazy. Is it worth continuing to let it ferment? or should I just start over?

Boil the DME in a few cups of water (smallest amount you can) for 10 minutes, cool it to room temp, and add it to the primary.

After I was done brewing and transfered the wort into the primary fermenter, I noticed that I still had the bag of DME sitting in the EPA kit box.

What was the contents of the kit? And how much DME did you leave out? Was there another type of sugar added for fermentation? And, did you take a hydrometer reading before fermentation?

I'm not sure if any of these questions matter. Just do what David Steel said.

Boil the DME in a few cups of water (smallest amount you can) for 10 minutes, cool it to room temp, and add it to the primary.

+1 on this.

Must be the kit came with some LME also? I know when I first started I nearly added the priming sugar to the beer during the brewing process. Wasn't paying attention and had it in hand ready to cut open the bag and dump it it. Stuff happens, all part of the learning process.

Do this. The worst result is your beer is slightly hoppier than you were expecting due to the low gravity boil. Shouldn't be a huge difference, though.

Thank you for all of the responses. My kit basically included. Liquid malt extract, 3 hop varieties, dry malt extract, grains, and bottling sugars. I got it from midwest brewing supplies and I believe that it was called Summit Ave EPA(http://www.midwestsupplies.com/summit-avenue-ale-clone.html). I will boil, cool and pitch in the DME and post my success or failure back on here. Thanks

Thank you for all of the responses. My kit basically included. Liquid malt extract, 3 hop varieties, dry malt extract, grains, and bottling sugars.

Ah, so the LME got the fermentation started. Heck, it would even be beer when it was done! But if you add the dissolved DME you'll bring it back closer to what the recipe intended.

Don't even have to boil the DME. Just get the water to boiling, take it off the heat, dissolve the DME in it and cool. That way you can use less water without worrying about scorching the DME or something.

6# LME
1# DME

You left out 20% of your fermentables.

Personally, I would set the DME aside and let the batch finish. keep the DME for making starters.

That'd be fine too. Just end up with a beer a little lighter in alcohol and malt characteristics and a little more hop character to it. Your beer, your choice and you're probably not wrong either way.

This is an old post, but I just made the same mistake. I dissolved the dme in 4 cups water and added it to the fermenter about 45 minutes after adding the yeast. How did yours turn out? Do I have anything to look forward to?

45 minutes after shouldn't be too big of a deal. Your hop utilization is going to be a little bit off, but other than that it shouldn't be a big deal. What style of beer was it?

And reading through the original post I seriously thought the guy just boiled hops in water, pitched the yeast, and called it good. Man that would be funny

45 minutes after shouldn't be too big of a deal. Your hop utilization is going to be a little bit off, but other than that it shouldn't be a big deal. What style of beer was it?

And reading through the original post I seriously thought the guy just boiled hops in water, pitched the yeast, and called it good. Man that would be funny

That's what I thought too haha. I wish that had been the case.

I forget exactly what it ended up tasting like. It was a bit sweeter than expected but it was a good brew.

Sweeter?! Did you end up adding the DME. It should have been slightly more bitter.

Back