Carbonation Question (sooth the fears of a nervous newb)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babaganoosh

Reaction score
Ok here is the poop. I brewed my first beer which was a Blonde Lager from Muntons. Everything went well and I was confident that fermentation was finished due to the fact that gravity was stable and the foam at the top of the Carboy disappeared. I did have a few bubble's in the airlock (1 every 8 -10 minutes but I think that was to due with the fact I had a really good seal on my carboy and it carbonated a bit in there.

Anyway yesterday I bottled using the method I have seen described on here as the best. I Boiled about 3/4 of a cup of dextrose in 2 cups of water, cooled to room temperature and then placed at the bottom of my bottling bucket and then siphoned my beer under it to mix. I got 64 bottles out of my 23 Liters.

I checked the bottle I have been using to see what happens during carbonation (clear wine cooler bottle and I was surprised to see hints of carbonation about 1 day after bottling. I opened and got a bit of a hiss.

Is it normal to have some carbonation after such a short period. Ive been reading on here how it can take weeks or even months. Is this a sign my beer will be carbonated early or will I have two and half cases of artillery brews in my bedroom closet.

what style did you brew, how long did you ferment it for and did you take a FG reading? If so what was the FG?

As I originally stated it was a Muntons Blonde Lager. I fermented it for 11 days. The FG was .1005 and holding. Another thing is that fermentation started really quick. I had bubbling in the Airlock in about 6 hours.

Your brew is fine, just remember to keep the temp. around 70 to 75 degrees F during this stage. The higher the temps are the faster it will carb up so try to stay with in the range stated above.

Does the speed of carbonation affect the amount of co2 produced? Or will the yeast just stop once the priming sugar is consumed.

As far as I know It does not (temp that is)it is the amount of sugar that you add at bottling time and yes the yeast will drop out once it is done. look here bottling tips there is some great info posted just for this matter.

Patience here is the key. Wait a couple of weeks and try one bottle and likely as not your efforts will be rewarded....BUT....be patient and wait another couple of weeks prior to really getting into your new batch. The beer will have matured a bit more, and probably be a lot closer to what you were looking for when you started.

I would tell you to wait a whole month prior to trying any of it out at all, but I know that curiosity gets the better of most of us, and trying one bottle won't hurt. Just don't draw too many negative conclusions out of that first bottle because the brew will only get better over time.

Back