Currant Wine Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuv

Reaction score
I had some currants lying round in the cupboard and noticed they were about to go off so I decided to try on making a wine out of them (not black currants but the grape variety). I'm pretty new to all this so I'm just experimenting with things. Is there any ingredients I should be adding extra? It's a 1 gallon batch.
Here's what I added:

1kg currants
half stick cinnamon
250g caster sugar
wine yeast

I plan to leave them ferment in the demijohn for a few days to let the juices flow into the water and then rack to a secondary.

This sounds a little light on currants. I have a raisin wine

in the secondary that called for 3lbs a gallon. you may

want to up the amount if you want any of there flavor

to be prevelant

Currant wine sounds awesome! I'd never really heard of them until I lived in Finland for a year -- my host family picked them religiously when it was warm and they are delicious! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

I think there's a little mix up here... I mean currants as in shriveled up raisins not blackcurrants.
However, I've also got blackcurrants growing in my garden so I may have to try them soon too!
pulpfiction32 - Do you really think I should add more? I think 1kg is equivalent to about 2.2lbs. I'll have a think about that one, cheers.

Latest posts

Back