Best way to raise fridge temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
I have a loaner fridge which I must return in original working condition in a year or so. It's the type with the freezer on the left and the fridge part on the right. Right now the fridge will get to aroudn 48F at its warmest. I want to be able to raise that up to as high as 65.

What's the most economical and least destructive way to do this?

I don't raise the temp in my fridge. I place a heating pad under the fermenter and then I set the fridge to 50 and I set the fermenter to 68 and a separate control is used just for the fermenter, and it is hooked up to the heating pad. If your fridge is hooked up to a PID you can hook both the fridge and the pad up to the same unit. good luck. S.

I don't raise the temp in my fridge. I place a heating pad under the fermenter and then I set the fridge to 50 and I set the fermenter to 68 and a separate control is used just for the fermenter, and it is hooked up to the heating pad. If your fridge is hooked up to a PID you can hook both the fridge and the pad up to the same unit. good luck. S.

This seems like a big waste of electricity. Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to get a temperature controller?

BTW, for the OP. I just run the probe wire through the door. It seals right around the cord. I'm planning on drilling a hole for it but that hasn't happened yet.

+1 to the analog temp controllers.....I got one on ebay about a year ago. All I do is snake the probe into the door....no holes or anything

This seems like a big waste of electricity. Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to get a temperature controller?

BTW, for the OP. I just run the probe wire through the door. It seals right around the cord. I'm planning on drilling a hole for it but that hasn't happened yet.

You would think that, but no the electric wasn't any different. My current fridge though has a heating pad plugged into an outlet, and the outlet and fridge are both hooked up to the same PID. The probe for the PID is then belted to the side of the fermentor in a insulated sheath. The probe then being exposed to just the fermentor. This keeps everything right on the ball. Heating pad can make the fridge 80+ and the fridge can take it all the way down to 37. It works fab. What I have, is the latest evolution of the same thing in my previouse post, just less buttons to push. s.

Put a Johnson or Ranco (sp?) controller on it. ~$50

No mods needed to the fridge.

Back