Regulator slowly rises in pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbb

Reaction score
Hey guys... I've got a dual body regulator. I used the second regulator to force carb a beer, and afterwards it wont hold a pressure steady. it slowly rises by about 1 psi in 10 seconds. Even with the regulator turned off! Both the tank and regulators are in the kegerator because it is in the garage and it gets really hot here in the summer. Any thought? Maybe a rebuild kit?

Hmm... I'm not sure i understand. It rises continuously by 1psi per 10 seconds? Or it just bumps up by a single psi once? In either case, rises relative to what? When does it start rising?

Sorry... So the regulator is completely off (unscrewed the adjuster). Yet the gauge will slowly rise in pressure. And there is co2 leaving the gauge. Is that more clear?

Sorry... So the regulator is completely off (unscrewed the adjuster). Yet the gauge will slowly rise in pressure. And there is co2 leaving the gauge. Is that more clear?

It's hooked up to the beer? If so, it means your beer is higher than the pressure you are trying to hold.

It sounds like your beer must have been at a higher pressure at some point, and is overcarbed, and your regulator is turned lower than that pressure.

Sorry, I'm doing a terrible job at explaining this.

Beer isn't hooked up. There is a hose connected to this problematic regulator with a pin lock connector on the other end. Valve is completely off (unscrewed til it's very loose), yet the pressure as read on the guage will rise from zero to well over 45psi over time. And there is pressure (not just a guage issue), as verified at the pin-lock connector by pushing the thing that pushes the poppet valve (gas escaped). Also the same can be seen by pulling the pressure release valve in this specific regulator body.

sbb said:

Beer isn't hooked up. There is a hose connected to this problematic regulator with a pin lock connector on the other end. Valve is completely off (unscrewed til it's very loose), yet the pressure as read on the guage will rise from zero to well over 45psi over time. And there is pressure (not just a guage issue), as verified at the pin-lock connector by pushing the thing that pushes the poppet valve (gas escaped). Also the same can be seen by pulling the pressure release valve in this specific regulator body.

Sounds like it might be a bad diaphragm in the regulator. It will allow more pressure to bleed through than intended. There is a repair kit available to fix this pretty cheap.

Sounds like it might be a bad diaphragm in the regulator. It will allow more pressure to bleed through than intended. There is a repair kit available to fix this pretty cheap.

I kinda thought this was the case. Are these repair kits specific to the brand of the regulator? Or are they fairly generic?

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, to concur with Johnny O, sounds like a bad diaphragm. The brand does matter sometimes, though many regulators use similar parts.

Before you go spending money try burst blasting the offending regulator by turning it up all the way and bursting co2 through a unobstructed (hoses removed and open) outlet a few seconds a few times. If that does not work open it clean the diaphragm and inspect for rough edges that can be fixed. Lubed.

Back