DIY Stir Plate kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
That's a great find. If you don't already have the parts this is the way I'd go if I didnt just build mine. I spent about that just filling the parts I didn't have. Again, great find.

That's a great find. If you don't already have the parts this is the way I'd go if I didnt just build mine. I spent about that just filling the parts I didn't have. Again, great find.

Awesome, thanks for confirming this for me. A stir plate wasn't something I really *needed* yet, but since this seems pretty cheap, I'll probably go for it.

One thing I noticed: The kit says it comes with a "Resistor," and I'm a little worried about how to install it. I read some webpages about it, and seems simple enough. I'm just not entirely sure where on this build it would go...

I built mine off the plans from this site and it cost me less than 20 more like 10 and it has retard prof directions which was a plus for me

Awesome, thanks for confirming this for me. A stir plate wasn't something I really *needed* yet, but since this seems pretty cheap, I'll probably go for it.

One thing I noticed: The kit says it comes with a "Resistor," and I'm a little worried about how to install it. I read some webpages about it, and seems simple enough. I'm just not entirely sure where on this build it would go...

Using the wire colors shown in the picture...
stir_plate.jpg

I'm trying to figure out if that shiny chunk of metal is supposed to be the magnet. With that odd shape it might be a challenge to balance it on a rotor hub...

Cheers!

looks like a great price! can't go any cheaper than that. Unless you have stuff laying in the closet like I did.

A while ago I posted my stir plate, if you go to page 3 and scroll to the bottom I listed few items that will make it plug and play, no soldering necessary. However it will be little more expensive most likely. (the links are to a canadian website)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/extremely-ghetto-another-diy-stirplate-243170/

Cool... I just ordered one.

Thanks for the link onipar.

You got it!

Thanks to everyone posting helpful hints and everything. Also, on the page where you order this, they have a link to a how-to video. :mug:

I think someone asked about the magnet? The curved magnet is the type you'd get from a computer hard drive. I haven't put one of these together yet, but it says in the video just to be very careful to center it as best you can.

dang, thats a good price, I built mine for less than 20 but had to scavenge the magnet and fan

dang, thats a good price, I built mine for less than 20 but had to scavenge the magnet and fan

Yeah, the absolute cheapest way is still if you have the parts on hand from an old computer.

Did anyone ever receive this yet? I actually never ordered it yet.

Got mine in the mail yesterday. They shipped it to me USPS Priority and I got it in just a few days.

onipar - could you please post up the link to the U Tube build? It didn't come witn any instructions and I cant find the video.

Cheers

Yup, that's the one (thanks h0rse27). There are probably other videos out there too, as well as the one thread on this site, that can walk you through it. Out of curiosity, what sort of box are you using for this?

I just got back from Radio Shack. I picked-up a small project box.
It was $7.00 and change and that included a $1 donation to cancer research...

All in all, I should have under $25 in the project.

I just got back from Radio Shack. I picked-up a small project box.
It was $7.00 and change and that included a $1 donation to cancer research...

All in all, I should have under $25 in the project.

Nice! Yeah, I'd go for the Radio Shack box over a cigar box too. Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

Yep... That's the one I got. I just put the computer fan up to it.
Looks like a perfect fit.

Looks like a good deal if you don't have random spare PC parts lying around (turns out some people don't?). I would recommend ordering a legit stir rod tho, makes all the difference in a setup like this. At least it did for me. Also, once you have that hd magnet perfectly centered, just tape or glue it into place. There's definitely a sweet spot with those.

Woohoo! This place is just across the state for me! Ordering tomorrow, since some folks dont have spare computer parts lying around! Where do you guys get legit stir rods from? Need an inexpensive erlenmeyer flask too? Where can i order both from?

Woohoo! This place is just across the state for me! Ordering tomorrow, since some folks dont have spare computer parts lying around! Where do you guys get legit stir rods from? Need an inexpensive erlenmeyer flask too? Where can i order both from?

you can pick up a stir bar and flask from any online store, try Midwest Supplies or Northern Brewer.

This is really a great find, thanks to the OP :mug:

Ordered! Pretty sweet deal. Need to go buy a RS project box, and order up a flask and a stirbar! Life is Good!

Looks like a good deal if you don't have random spare PC parts lying around (turns out some people don't?). I would recommend ordering a legit stir rod tho, makes all the difference in a setup like this. At least it did for me. Also, once you have that hd magnet perfectly centered, just tape or glue it into place. There's definitely a sweet spot with those.
I've seen pictures of stir plates with 2 magnets glued on opposite sides of the fan. Will that work also?
I got a 3" 120V AC fan from RS and a $4 dimmer switch from WalMart and am going to build mine today out of scrap lumber, mainly because I like working with power tools.:D

Hey, glad people are finding this a good deal; glad to help! :mug:

I wonder if some of you wouldn't mind posting pictures of your finished kits when you're done? Would be cool to see.

I saw in an earlier post that someone was asking about the resistor? Did anyone figure this out. It appears in the diagram above that the resistor is not needed, just the potentiometer. Correct?

Will be sure to post the build when I get all the parts! Thanks guys!

From the site referenced on the OP link:

"If you find that the fan spins too fast and is throwing your stir bar, you could add a few resistors inline before the rheostat to help slow it down some more."

So the resistor may not be needed.

Okay, so received the stuff in the mail from these guys:

The fan and wall wort work great, along with the bolts/hardware. The potentiometer they sent did not work, and the knob is missing a set screw. Naturally I broke the magnet trying to get it off (did not research this until after it broke...), so I went to harbor freight, got some stronger rare earth magnets, and they are attached to the fan now...

After a trip to Radio Shack, I had all the right parts.

So, they sent me a 12V wall wort, a 12V fan, and now everything is all wired up and working appropriately. However, I tried to spin the rest of the earth magnets that came in the set, and they seemed like they were having a hard time maintaining magnetic force with the magnets on the fan (the magnets on the fan are reversed polarity wise, figured that out already). I think the fan is spinning too fast, and the makeshift bar can't keep up. Therefore, the resistor that they shipped may come in handy.

What do you guys think? Resistor sound like something I need to wire in?

Let me know!
Ryan M.

Ryan-
I'd give it a shot, since you have it in the kit. I have not made it that far in my build, since I'm using a wooden cigar box, and I'm still giving it a clear coat. I wired everything together and it seemed to work OK. I was actually impressed with all the stuff in my kit, but since they are using recycled stuff it will be different kit to kit I imagine. I did get a piece of closet dowel and cut a slice about a 1/4" thick (looks like a thin checker) to glue onto the fan before the magnet to isolate the motor from the effects of the magnet. I'm hoping that will help, but won't know for a while yet. Hope you get yours working.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Back