2nd Batch Malt Wine Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BODWB

Reaction score
1st Batch I made an oatmeal wheat stout for me.

Next batch I am working on will be a malt wine cooler for SWI

Just waiting for my homemade malt to finish.

What I found interesting about this batch is that it started off with a red food coloring and after 14 days on the 15th day the yeast ate the food coloring? Because between the 14th and 15th day the red coloring disappeared.

IS that right did the yeast eat the food coloring?

I was making some cheap wine coolers for the fun of it and it had alot of red food coloring in it. On day 14 it was red and on day 15 it is now clear! So between day 14 and 15 it became clear! Did the yeast eat the red food coloring?

No, the yeast didn't eat the dye.

When the wine starts to clear, "stuff" in suspension falls out. The color of wine can be surprising- I made a tomato wine out of ripe tomatoes. The wine ended up golden colored! My rhubarb wine is white. Cranberry wine is very light pink, and even wine made from cherries isn't really dark red- more of a light red.

No, the yeast didn't eat the dye.

When the wine starts to clear, "stuff" in suspension falls out. The color of wine can be surprising- I made a tomato wine out of ripe tomatoes. The wine ended up golden colored! My rhubarb wine is white. Cranberry wine is very light pink, and even wine made from cherries isn't really dark red- more of a light red.

Yeah it is now golden colored. SO if I want to dye it again will it lose it again, not that I want 2. Just wondering. Thanks!

Yeah it is now golden colored. SO if I want to dye it again will it lose it again, not that I want 2. Just wondering. Thanks!

Probably as the dye wouldn't be bound into the wine.

If you want a red color, you could use a reddish colored juice. It'll still lighten up a lot, but give a reddish tinge.

I remember seeing a recipe for st patricks day beer that used green food dye. But I guess that only has to last a day. Dye or natural I really don't mind either way. But I am still kinda curious as I find it really neat. I guess things that do work would be things they use in soft drinks like caramel coloring and stronger dyes?

Ok this one turned out great. Very strong. Gave a glass to a friend to taste and after 1/2 glass they said their eyes where going cross and they was getting whoosy. I really like the taste I was suprised

Care to share your recipe?
I got one from a Motorcycle acquaintance a couple years ago, stored in my save files. I tried it last fall and added WAY too much carbonation. I hadn't started reading things yet so I consider it a true experiment (failed!). I wonder what yours is ... it will take me a bit to dig up mine to share but I'll find it today.

Care to share your recipe?
I got one from a Motorcycle acquaintance a couple years ago, stored in my save files. I tried it last fall and added WAY too much carbonation. I hadn't started reading things yet so I consider it a true experiment (failed!). I wonder what yours is ... it will take me a bit to dig up mine to share but I'll find it today.

Yeah don't mind. Here is what I did. I got 4 gallons of Jungle Fruit Juice it was dyed red and had a lot of preservatives including some that make it hard to ferment. I didn't boil them for that reason I just put them into the primary.

Then I added regular cheap sugar that I made into invert sugar by boiling with lemon juice to get the OG up to 1.100. 1 lbs dark rye malt. I added some yeast I had saved from my first batch of beer. Fermentation was real slow. There was never any cap at the top but slow bubbles.

In two half gallon bottles I fermented 1/2 gallon of pinnaple juice from a can. And in another I fermented grape juice made from frozen concentrate. Once they where kicking with fermentation I added them to the primary. They got things rolling real well. Then I pitched some champaign yeast. Bottled at .990

Then I froze it in the freezer with a cup of sugar in a half gallon container. Then poured out the unfrozen alcohol portion.....very strong!

I think that's pretty much how I did it.

This is direct from the email I got for the recipe. So it's the brewer's words. I didn't make this work properly. Ended up building bottle bombs. I found them before any damage occured and opened them in the tub.

Liquid Panty Remover.
i was brewing about 50 gallons of beer for an upcoming St.Patty's day party,
when it came to my attention that several people there (mostly chicks and including my wife) dont dig beer...so some experimenting gave us this recipe. so far, everyone who has tried it likes it, and it lives up to its title....

in a 5 gal. water bottle pour, in order:
1 gal. water
2 gal. apple juice
3 oz. maltodexterin
1 lb. liquid malt extract (36 pts per gallon wet, 45 points dry) 8/10's dry malt.
1 qt. pomegranite juice
syrup from 1 can cherry pie filling
1 1/2 cup sugar

stir
add 6g. brewing yeast, add waterto top the mix at 5 gal., stir again
place vented cover
soak (separately) 32 oz of cherries in vodka
place mix in dark place,68 deg. F for 5-6 days

get 2 1/2 cases of 12 oz bottles. prime each with :
1 saturated cherry
1 oz vodka
1 oz grenadine
1/2 tsp sugar

pump mix into bottles up to neck, seal shut, turn over twice to mix
store at 65-70 degF 4 days then refrigerate for 4 days...after that they should be good about 6 mos.
after the 5th serving, start asking her for a table dance.
enjoy [\quote]

That certainly is a lot better organized than my recipe. Will have to try that out, course I can never follow a recipe I usually end up changing or adding something because either I don't have it or I have it and I like it.

This sounds like something my wife may like, she also doesn't care for beer (more for me).

couple of questions, what type of yeast do you use?

1 lb. liquid malt extract (36 pts per gallon wet, 45 points dry) 8/10's dry malt." Not really sure what this means? can anyone explain??

This sounds like something my wife may like, she also doesn't care for beer (more for me).

couple of questions, what type of yeast do you use?

1 lb. liquid malt extract (36 pts per gallon wet, 45 points dry) 8/10's dry malt." Not really sure what this means? can anyone explain??

Champagne yeast worked for me. Not sure what that means either I use all grain to make the malt.

1 lb of LME (Liquid Malt Extract) or .8 lb of DME (Dry Malt Extract). This is a fairly equivalent amount of sugar provided by the Malt Extracts. Liquid Malt Extract requires a bit more volume due to the liquid, but it is a lot messier.

Back