Computer Hardware Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am pretty computer literate with damn near all things except processors (which is a pretty big part..). Anyway, I found out that a friend of mine got me a computer game for Christmas (Left 4 Dead). I checked the system requirements online and I found that my processor does not meet the system requirements. The game requires a 3.0 ghz processor. Mine is about a 2.5 AMD triple core processor running vista64 with 4 gigs of RAM. I though I had a decent setup, but apparently my 5 month old computer is already outdated? Can someone who knows more about processors drop some knowledge?

Thanks,

Stad

Hey Guys, I am pretty computer literate with damn near all things except processors (which is a pretty big part..). Anyway, I found out that a friend of mine got me a computer game for Christmas (Left 4 Dead). I checked the system requirements online and I found that my processor does not meet the system requirements. The game requires a 3.0 ghz processor. Mine is about a 2.5 AMD triple core processor running vista64 with 4 gigs of RAM. I though I had a decent setup, but apparently my 5 month old computer is already outdated? Can someone who knows more about processors drop some knowledge?

Thanks,

Stad

You're fine. I'm sure the "3.0 ghz" processor they refer to is the older P4 3 ghz. Clock speeds on the newer dual/quad core processors are lower numerically, but they're WayTheHell faster than the older P4 3 ghz CPU's.

Assuming you have a suitable graphics adaptor, your box will run that software just dandy.

EDIT: Yeah, I checked online and the 3.0 ghz does refer to P4's. (CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 or higher.) Your processor is fine.

Thanks,

Stad

That is pretty high for the minimum reqs, are you sure that isn't just the recommended? You do have a decent setup though. What video card are you running, if you have a decent ATI or Nvidia card I would be it would be at least playable if not optimal, if you are using Intel on-board graphics you are probably pushing it.

EDIT - According to Valve the 3Ghz is for a single core processor. So you are golden.

http://www.left4dead411.com/left-4-dead-system-requirements

Minimum:
  • Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
  • Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
  • Memory: 1 GB
  • Graphics: 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better
  • Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
  • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Recommended:
  • Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
  • Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
  • Memory: 1 GB
  • Graphics: Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

GOOD, I currently don't have a video card. I need to open up the machine to see if it has a AGP or PCI express. It's a newer computer, so it should be PCI express, right? Could it have both? If so, which is preferred?

GOOD, I currently don't have a video card. I need to open up the machine to see if it has a AGP or PCI express. It's a newer computer, so it should be PCI express, right? Could it have both? If so, which is preferred?

If you just got it 5 months ago, it surely has an PCI-E slot. AGP is completely outdated.

If you're buying a new card, do your homework well. Make sure you get enough for the games you want to play. When it comes to modern 3D games, the video card is almost more important than the processor.

To be completely honest, I'm not REALLY into computer gaming. With this new game, it would be a total of 2 games that I play. They both seem relatively low requirement.

To be completely honest, I'm not REALLY into computer gaming. With this new game, it would be a total of 2 games that I play. They both seem relatively low requirement.

Yeah, I hear you. I'm too old to be much of a gamer anymore. I'll toss in Call of Duty now and then but that's it.

However, one thing I can pretty much guarantee is that if you set up a box with the base requirements for that (or any) game you'd probably only be able to run it in 640x480 with all the detail down to low...and it'd still be a slideshow.

I don't know enough about that game (or really the state of graphics cards in general) to suggest a particular card to you. My suggestion would be to find a forum dedicated to that game and try to isolate a decent mid-range card that'd allow you to play enjoyably without breaking the bank.

I'm pretty sure it's a Gateway GT5692 Desktop. I didn't building this particular machine. It was a good deal and I couldn't beat the price. What would you suggest?

Thanks guys, that should be just about it. Now I know who to pester with tech questions... Jk.

WHY do I never see these hardware threads in time?!?!?!

Oh well - My fellow nerds have taken excellent care of you. Kudos, guys!

Keep me posted on how that AMD Phenom does with gaming. My AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ is quite nice, but I've thought about switching to one of those swooshy new 4-core Phenoms instead. They're surprisingly affordable.

But oh well, the 4800+ does nicely for me in the meantime, and since RAM is so cheap right now (but not for long!) I went ahead and bought 2 GB additional RAM for my tower, it was less than $30. WHEEE! Once it gets here, I'll have 4gb RAM. I just downgraded my graphics card not long ago, I gave my 512mb Radeon X1650 Pro to SWMBO, and put in a 256mb GeForce (I think it's a 8650?) instead. My "other" project is to get around to backing up all of my data, and setting up dual WD 160gb SATA drives in Raid 0. Hehehe.

I should mention that the ATI HD3200 running on your PC is one of the best on-board graphics chips shipping. I wouldn't be looking to play Crysis on it if I were you but I would bet it is going to handle most games on the market well enough. If you are a casual gamer I don't see any reason to upgrade.

I've had good luck picking out 'mid range' video cards on newegg.com

Feel free to PM me if you want my advice. I tend to go with ATI chipsets over Nvidia, but that's my personal preference.

should be able to get a pretty good card for $100. some will debate, but Sapphire makes decent cards with ATI chips.

My previous (Now SWMBO's) X1650 Pro is a Sapphire, it's a great card. +1 to them. Economical, yet effective.

I picked Left 4 Dead up this morning off steam and got to play it for a bit, I have to say that the game is pretty awesome. Just a total hack and slash zombie killing fun fest. I would say if your PC can't run it well then upgrade it so it can, totally a cool game. :rockin:

20081209RT0363.jpg

I still haven't opened the game. I feel bad opening it before christmas, but I can always go with a good ol' rewrap, haha. Anyway, I ended up going with the:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100230L Radeon HD 3450 1GB (256MB on Board) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hope this is a good one, when it arrives, if SWMBO lets me opened it before Christmas, I'll be playing Left 4 Dead. I have really yet to hear anything bad about this game, I'm pretty excited now.

My boss bought me l4d for christmas, so I'm glad to hear you folks like it.

I would not have recommended that card, especially not a shared memory version, but if you're used to onboard anything is going to be gold to you. I don't think I would have even bothered with a $35 GPU though.

My boss bought me l4d for christmas, so I'm glad to hear you folks like it.

I would not have recommended that card, especially not a shared memory version, but if you're used to onboard anything is going to be gold to you. I don't think I would have even bothered with a $35 GPU though.

Don't tell me that..

Don't tell me that..

Well, I'd sorta have to agree with him. That's not really a gaming card at all. It's more targeted at home theater applications. It's probably slightly better than you current onboard video, but I'm not sure it's worth the bother and money to upgrade to it. It's up to you, but I'd go a different direction.

Would you guys be able to suggest one for around the same price? Maybe I can return it to new egg for another choice? I don't really understand what makes this a bad card though..

I don't really understand what makes this a bad card though..

It's not that it's a bad card for what it's intended for. It's just not a card that is geared towards gaming. Check out this chart:

Charts, benchmarks Gaming Graphics Charts Q3/2008, Call of Duty 4 v1.6

It's using Call of Duty for benchmarking purposes, but that's not really relevant. You'll see that your card is something like 6th or 7th from the bottom on here, and check out the benchmark score relative to the upper end on the chart.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you buy a card from the top of this list, since those cards are probably $400 or more. But in reality you'd probably need to pony up around $100 for a serviceable gaming card. If that's out of your budget, then my suggestion would be to just use your onboard GPU and save your $$ until you can spring for a better one. I just don't think that 3450 is going to give you what you're looking for in the way of improvement.

Just my opinion.

Would you guys be able to suggest one for around the same price? Maybe I can return it to new egg for another choice? I don't really understand what makes this a bad card though..

Newegg is a fantastic company to deal with, and they will accept a return without a problem. However, if you do this online they will normally charge a restocking fee and require you ship it back. If you call their customer support number to request a return/exchange you can just ask to have them waive the restocking fee and perhaps the shipping charges. As for the card, I'd recommend this as a quality alternative:

It's $49.99, but is a GREAT card: GeForce 8600GTS
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-NX86S256H GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Or for more in line with your $35 price point: Radeon 3450
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH3450/HTP/512M Radeon HD 3450 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I bought a Radeon 3650 recently because my onboard x1750 wouldn't run Fallout 3 worth a crap. I can crank up the settings to Ultra and get a bit of stuttering, but visually I can't tell the difference so I keep it at high and 1650 x 1440 resolution.

Agreed, I love it! I only play it if someone else is in the house though.

Back