Oops, Anti-Foam. Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So just as I was adding my 60min hop addition I was adding a few drops of anti foam, well my fingers slipped and I may have(not sure) dumped about a 1/4 of a bottle in.

I am not sure if I did because the bottle is white and I dont know how much was in there to begin with but it might of gone in.

Anyone know if this has any negative effects when more then just a few drops are added. Heading problems, taste, smell, etc etc?:(

Well if it is food grade silicone like mine is, it is supposed to sink. The boiling action is what keeps it dispersed, but once things calm down, it should sink.

My recommendation, leave a little more beer over the trub than usual when racking.

Very cool. The label on my bottle fell off a while ago and I couldnt recall what the active ingredient was. Hopefully I will finish ok.

This is my third brew in 2 weeks. well 2nd brew and 1 batch Apfelwein of course. I would of been pissed if I killed this.

Your beer is ruined:D

Actually, I did my first 10 gal batch the other day, and got overzealous with the fermcap. I was just terrified of having a boilover of that magnitude. I haven't noticed any problems so far.

I am really hoping that this whole "extra lube" and silicone thing doesnt give people the poops real bad. I dont think it will but on the plus side I had the best early sedimentation that I have ever had with a beer. Almost about 3" with in the first hour it was in the carboy.
And also, about an hour after pitching I realized I forgot to take a SG and the wort was crystal clear. I vorlaufed my ass off and I think that helped. Although I did miss my OG by 8pts.

It is supposed to be VERY unhealthy. That is why the FDA only allows a VERY small amount of in food and drinks. Hopefully it will seperate and settle out but if it doesnt head retention would be the least of my worries.

but silicon should be more than heavy enough to settle out without problems -unlike other food-processing operations, we aren't agitating our beers to keep sediments stirred up in 'em. Beers are treated nicely (not agitated) because they (in turn) treat US nicely.
Yes, my beers (as I'm sure the same can be said for yours) are treated with love, care and respect due to such a marvelous beverage (and social lubricant, if you will). After all, a happy beer helps make a happy nightbiker (grin).

Back