Oatmeal Stout Best Laid Plans [Oatmeal Stout]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Danstar Nottingham
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
25 L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
37 IBU
Color
33 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
31 Days @ 70F
Additional Fermentation
1.5 Months Bottle Conditioning
This oatmeal stout started as an experiment in a munich-based stout and has turned into a really fine beer. The experiment thread is available here.

You get a very nice balance of malt flavour with a roasty finish and a nice roasty/malty nose. The oats gives it a really nice velvety mouthfeel and a slight hint of oat flavour. This is a very drinkable and enjoyable beer and at session strength you can enjoy quite a few in a sitting.

Code:
Best Laid Plans

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
13-C  Stout, Oatmeal Stout
Min OG:  1.048   Max OG:  1.065
Min IBU:    25   Max IBU:    48
Min Clr:    22   Max Clr:    60  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L):          25.00    Wort Size (L):     25.00
Total Grain (kg):         5.05
Anticipated OG:          1.042    Plato:             10.48
Anticipated SRM:          33.0
Anticipated IBU:          36.8
Brewhouse Efficiency:       70 %
Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 79.2     4.00 kg.  Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
  8.9     0.45 kg.  Flaked Oats                   America        1.033      2
  5.9     0.30 kg.  Chocolate Malt                America        1.029    350
  5.9     0.30 kg.  Roasted Barley                America        1.028    450

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 20.00 g.     Galena                            Pellet  14.00  36.8  60 min.

Amount      Name                           Type      Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.00 Unit(s)Irish Moss                     Fining    10 Min.(boil) 

Danstar  Nottingham

Mash Type: Single Step
L Water Per kg Grain: 2.50 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 156  Time:  60
Mash-out Rest Temp :         168  Time:  10
Sparge Temp :                170  Time:  10
The recipe is attached as a Promash Recipe file and also in BeerXML format as generated by the Promash conversion tool.

View attachment Best Laid Plans.xml

View attachment Best Laid Plans.rec

Received this in a swap as well

"that is one suave stout" was description from a buddy

bookmarked to brew

cheers
BeerCanuck

Glad you guys enjoyed it BeerCanuck. I should have mentioned in my OP, it really doesn't come into its own until 3 months from brew day. Before that the roasted flavour dominates the munich - which isn't necessarily a bad thing given that it's a stout - just not what I originally intended.

I brewed this the other day and didn't get ANY cold break when I chilled the wort. Has anyone else had this experience or it is a byproduct of the oatmeal?

Sidenote: I forgot to toss in a whirlfloc tablet, could that have caused it?

I've been making oatmeal stouts since I started brewing a few years ago, never noticed any difference in cold break due to the oats. The whirlfloc may help the cold break be more visible, but if you chilled quickly from boiling to pitching temp I don't see any way you couldn't have gotten it. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Hope you enjoy the beer, be sure to post back when it's ready for drinking! :mug:

I brewed this the other day and didn't get ANY cold break when I chilled the wort. Has anyone else had this experience or it is a byproduct of the oatmeal?

Sidenote: I forgot to toss in a whirlfloc tablet, could that have caused it?

I actually had this happen when I brewed the O'Flannigain standard stout. I also forgot the whirlfloc (not that I care if my stout has a haze) and I blamed it on that.

I was planning on brewing this shortly Brad
Just wondering about the flaked oats in the recipe. Can you use the standard breakfast oatmeal from the grocery store?

Cheers
Steve

I would have to recommend this particular beer to anyone who is remotely interested in the concept of a munich based stout.

It has the standard chocolate and roast flavors that one would expect from a stout, but the Munich adds something else. Almost indescribable...

Really you just have to brew it and try it.

Also, the aftertaste is incredible. Brad, if I am ever up in Canada, I would like to shake your hand.

so in lbs the recipe is?
8lbs munich
1 lb flaked oats
half pound chocolate
half pound roasted barley
20grams galena 60mins

so in lbs the recipe is?
8lbs munich
1 lb flaked oats
half pound chocolate
half pound roasted barley
20grams galena 60mins
8.8lbs of munich
0.66lbs for the chocolate and roasted.

Also if you're doing a 5 US Gallon batch, this recipe is actually 6.5 US Gallons so you'll want to scale back appropriately (and of course for your own efficiency).

I plan on brewing this next week but I have about a pound of centennial. How will this turn out? Thanks

I was thinking the same thing since it is only bittering it shoudnt add any flavors or aroma.

EDIT: I bought all the ingredients except I got irish ale liquid yeast. I plan on brewing this tonight when the kids go to sleep so it will be another long night. 2.5 gallon Batch

EDIT I brewed this yesterday for National Home Brew day and everything went great. I also ordered a 6.5g minibrew conical fermenter. Now all I need is a stir plate and a 8 gallon stock pot and I should be able to do 5g all grain.

I converted this and just thought I'd save someone the trouble. Looks tasty.

6 gallon pre-boil volume
5 gallon batch

6.66 lbs munich
12 oz flaked oats
8 oz chocolate 350
8 oz roasted barley 450

15 grams galena

my fg finished at 1.020, which is alittle lower alcohol percentage i was aiming for(was hoping 5% or higher)....but the sample did taste great

do you think i should try to do something to try to get it around 1.010? like add another new pack of nottingham?

You could try giving the fermenter a swirl to suspend some yeast so they can have another go at it. There is tons of yeast in there already, I wouldn't bother adding more. Raising the temperature a few degrees can also wake up the yeast.

having a pint of this now, excellent brew. only subs i made was different hops(same ibu though), 2pounds oatmeal(and lightly toasted it), and alittle sugar due to missed fg

Finally brewed up a batch of this yesterday. I've put the recipe in my beersmith about a year ago, and finally got it brewed. Can't wait til the ferment is done!

This is next in line for me. I am thinking about racking it onto some wood chips.

How do you think it would handle the added flavor?

I'm not a fan of oaked beers, so I haven't thought to try it. I imagine it would add some interesting complexity that would probably work quite well with the malty flavours.

You could try a split batch and compare the two. Either way be sure to post how it turns out!

I have never oaked a beer before and I am itching to see what it does. I will give it a shot but not for long. Keep it at a mild hint. I will certainly post how it comes out.

I have a batch just waiting to be kegged downstairs..excellent recipe Brad
I have brewed this 5 times since I first sampled it. Definitely one of my favorite go to recipes (scaled to 11 gallons a little special b or cararoma is all i add extra)

Cheers;
Steve

Steve, glad to hear you're still enjoying this beer! It's one of a few beers I've been making very regularly. Though to my shame I have none at the moment, I had better do something about that. :D

How much Special B do you use? I have some kicking around and it sounds like a nice addition to the malt flavours.

1/2 lb of special B to a 11 gallon scaled batch..the toasted oats sounds like a nice idea as well.

Cheers;
Steve

Hey Brad! Wanted to give you some feedback on your recipe. Here's a quote from a buddy, cut and pasted from an email:

The Oatmeal was pure joy. How much would I have to pay you to make enough to fill up a bathtub so I can swim around in it?

:D I enjoy it, too. It tastes almost exactly like the oatmeal stout at my local brewpub, Kroghs, and that's high praise.

-Joe

8.8lbs of munich
0.66lbs for the chocolate and roasted.

Also if you're doing a 5 US Gallon batch, this recipe is actually 6.5 US Gallons so you'll want to scale back appropriately (and of course for your own efficiency).

I noticed in your beersmith file the recipe batch is 6.6G and the Biol size for a 90 minute boil is also 6.6G. I'm assuming the recipe is for the 6.6G into fermenter?

Back