Turn Oatmeal Stout into Oatmeal RAISIN Stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971hemicuda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed an Oatmeal Stout about 10 days ago. its coming along nicely...really nicely. Toasted the flaked oats for 25 minutes at 350 in the oven...nice oatmeal cookie flavoring, very similar to Velvet Merlin by Firestone Walker (kind of the inspiration for this beer)

Boil Size: 13.27 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.15 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 33.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name # %/IBU
13 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) 1 64.3 %
3 lbs Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) 2 14.3 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (Briess) (20.0 SRM) 3 4.8 %
1 lbs Black Pearl (340.0 SRM) 4 4.8 %
1 lbs CHÂTEAU CARA GOLD (45.2 SRM) 5 4.8 %
8.0 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) 6 2.4 %
8.0 oz Dark Crystal II (121.0 SRM) 7 2.4 %
8.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (500.0 SRM) 8 2.4 %
1.25 oz Columbus [15.20 %] - Boil 90.0 min 9 37.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus [15.20 %] - Boil 1.0 min 10 0.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg West Coast Ale I (Omega Yeast Labs #OYL-004)11

I hit all my numbers exactly (so far, still fermenting nicely at 64)

I'm going to put 5 gallons on tap in another week, but i'm thinking of racking onto 1/2 lb of raisin's to see if I can get that oatmeal raisin cookie thing going on. Thinking about also baking the raisin's in the oven for 25 minutes to simulate baking them in cookies, then racking 5 gallons of the beer onto them.

Thoughts, suggestions, impressions? Or is there a better way to get that "raisin" flavor

Jason

If you are going to brew again - Special B and Dark Candy syrup can give raisin-like flavors.

I don't have any experience with adding actual raisins to beer. There are special raisins made for baking that are larger, perhaps those might be more what you are looking for if you add them in secondary.

My wife has been asking for me to do this for a while. Please let me know how this turns out, as my next OS blend is going to try this.

So, it went into keg and is carbonated. The first pull poured wonderful. I get a ton of oats, some chocolate and roastiness. But, I think its still a bit green. I'm thinking a week or so to condition and it will be MUCH better.

As for the 5 gallons i racked on to 8oz of regular raisin's...i used raisin's you would use for making oatmeal cookies. I'm going to give it a week, pull a sample and decide if I need more raisin's, or more time. I'll update as I test

Next time, however, I am tempted to use special B to see if i can get that Raisin flavor without racking onto fruit.

I've never had issues getting raisin flavour in sima after a few days in raisins. Do you still have the raisins mixed in with the beer? One of the fun things about sima is to eat the fermented swallowed raisins with it!

Back