The Fermoire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
80 degrees ambient in December? Yikes. I'm thinking a system like this in my house in Baltimore would work even better seeing as my original furnace likes to keep my house at a toasty 60 degrees in the winter time :)

The gears are turning.....

I hadn't even thought of a corner structure before. That alone is groundbreaking in my mind! And the coolant lines? My previous ideas for fermenchambers have now flipped 180... in a good way!

Bravo on the project, professional for sure!

Thank you all!

It has continued to work fine for me it went into "production" last year. I have to admit that I still haven't finished the top 2 chambers though. I've even got all of the pumps and radiators to do it already. Can't come up with another excuse aside from laziness.

RMCK, I get a little bit of condensation buildup inside both the ice chamber and the fermentation chamber. Never ever on the outside of the cabinet itself though. The way I raised the opening of the door off of the base of the chamber (there's about a 2-inch lip) and the fact that I used about 15 tubes of caulking in putting all of the foam togehter makes for a nice sealed area to contain any condensation or splashing when I swap ice. So I seldom mess with cleaning up the condensation.

The lip though is a mixed blessing. Since it's foam too, I've had to be relatively careful about loading/unloading the carboys from the chamber. If I had to come up with a gripe, it would be that it's a little tricky to get carboys in and out of the lower chamber. Evidently not tricky enough to make me get off my butt and finish the upper ones though. :D

If I through a jug of glycol in a freezer and pumped it through the radiator do you think it could cool a 7 CF enclosure that is properly insulated? to 45F

If I through a jug of glycol in a freezer and pumped it through the radiator do you think it could cool a 7 CF enclosure that is properly insulated? to 45F

In my unprofessional opinion, I would say: probably, but it might be pushing it a little. I've been able to get mine down into the mid 40's when I was first playing with it, but manually sutstaining it with ice water would have been a chore. I would suspect it would be a chore for the freezer to keep up too. It would ultimately come down to how fast your freezer could suck the heat out of your glycol holding tank, how big of a tank you could cram into the freezer, how much colder than 45 you can get the freezer down to, how much heat your fermentation is producing, and how well it is all insulated. You might consider a second radiator in the freezer to give the glycol some more cold surface area before it mixes back in with the main tank.... Might help slow down the warming of your tank if the freezer radiator is big enough.

Take all of that with a grain of salt though... I pretty much built mine without knowing what I was doing and just hoping that it would work. I know there are some folks on the board here who have the mental capacity and expertise to run through the calculations, so if you get a reply that seems like they know what they're talking about, I would take their word over mine!

I bought one of these "things" (still not 100% sure what it originally was) a month or two ago... Got it all taken apart and down to just a nice little compressor/condensor and cooling coil. I've kinda put it on the back burner for now, but I'm eventually going to find a way to add it to the Fermoire to at least assist with keeping things in the "ice chamber" cooler.... Either directly on the bucket o' cooling water, or maybe just air-cooling the chamber to help draw off the heat that the water brings back down into it. For $20, it was too hard to pass up. :) Since you're still in the what-if stage, you might see if something like that might fit into your plans!

Surplus Center Item Detail

Good luck!

that is AMAZING! seriously insanely amazing!

Many thanks BerserkerBrew!

In my unprofessional opinion, I would say: probably, but it might be pushing it a little. I've been able to get mine down into the mid 40's when I was first playing with it, but manually sutstaining it with ice water would have been a chore. I would suspect it would be a chore for the freezer to keep up too. It would ultimately come down to how fast your freezer could suck the heat out of your glycol holding tank, how big of a tank you could cram into the freezer, how much colder than 45 you can get the freezer down to, how much heat your fermentation is producing, and how well it is all insulated. You might consider a second radiator in the freezer to give the glycol some more cold surface area before it mixes back in with the main tank.... Might help slow down the warming of your tank if the freezer radiator is big enough.

Take all of that with a grain of salt though... I pretty much built mine without knowing what I was doing and just hoping that it would work. I know there are some folks on the board here who have the mental capacity and expertise to run through the calculations, so if you get a reply that seems like they know what they're talking about, I would take their word over mine!

I bought one of these "things" (still not 100% sure what it originally was) a month or two ago... Got it all taken apart and down to just a nice little compressor/condensor and cooling coil. I've kinda put it on the back burner for now, but I'm eventually going to find a way to add it to the Fermoire to at least assist with keeping things in the "ice chamber" cooler.... Either directly on the bucket o' cooling water, or maybe just air-cooling the chamber to help draw off the heat that the water brings back down into it. For $20, it was too hard to pass up. :) Since you're still in the what-if stage, you might see if something like that might fit into your plans!

Surplus Center Item Detail

Good luck!

Many thanks BerserkerBrew!

Well my freezer is way below 40 degrees. I think it would work the only issue would be whether the surface area would be enough to cool that large a compartment.

Since my wife wont let me use the freezer for a fermentation vessel I was think of building a collar and mounting the lid on the collar. Then drilling input and out put holes for the out put and return to the basin of glycol that would sit in a tub in the bottom of the freezer.

This way I'm using the freezer to cool my cabinet but she still can put all the food inside.

If well insulated I think it would work. The pump would be connected to a ranco controller as well as the fan so when need be the controller would kick the pump on and the fan to cool the area.

I have a few questions
-why so many temp sensors? Wouldn't 1 do?

-also will the 4 port 1 wire switch power the 120v pump

-do you need to know programming to use the interface

I must say that as an employee at a fine woodworking shop, a dabbler in electronics and a huge fan of brewing, that this may take the cake for the coolest DIY project to ever run across my screen. I can tell by your "I didn't really know if this thing was gonna work" mentality that we at least have a LITTLE bit in common. This thread is truly inspiring on a number of levels. You my friend have earned a dedicated follower of your posts. Job very well done. Keep the ideas flowing. People like me can and do really need this sort of reading.

Cheers friend,

- Jacob

Sorry for the very delayed reply... Haven't had much time to do brew things this year. Sad.

Anyway, thanks Jacob I appreciate the comments!

Brewjunky, here are some answers to your questions:

-why so many temp sensors? Wouldn't 1 do?

Because I could. :) They were cheap, and the 1-Wire interface could handle it. I actually only went all-out on the first chamber... Crammed a lot of them in there at various locations so that I could see the effects on a graph, like intake air vs. output air on either side of the radiator. I used a couple in the ice chamber to compare the water / air temp relationship and see how they change over time. Yes though, one per chamber will suffice and that is what I wound up doing on the others.

-also will the 4 port 1 wire switch power the 120v pump

Yes, it has a built in relay. Several, actually. I use it to directly switch 120v for the pumps as well as 12v on the fans. I don't seem to have listed that part number back when I created this post, sorry about that. It is a "4-channel relay v3.2" from www.hobby-boards.com I went looking for a link on their site, but was unable to find that part any more. Found this description of it though... LINK. Maybe they have created a newer model now.

-do you need to know programming to use the interface

For the 1-wire stuff, yeah pretty much. I used a HA7Net LINK Ethernet to 1-wire host adapter. It is a nice little box that has a built in web server that you can do some basic manual things on the 1-wire network but nothing automated. I went this route because I like to tinker, evidently had a lot of free time back then (I can't even remember what that was like) and love gadgets. There were many aspects of the fermoire that were overkill as a result. :) The same end results could have been achieved with something like a Ranco thermostat that most of us use to turn freezers into kegerators. (would need 120v fans, but that's easy enough to solve!). Or maybe a house thermostat and an external relay? Lots of ways to accomplish it, I just went the crazy way. :)

Back