Bulk ageing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so if I leave my cider in the primary for 2-3 weeks, then siphon to my carboy for secondary/conditioning for a couple of weeks, how is the best way to bulk age it? Should I just leave it in the carboy? Should I siphon into another carboy with an air lock? Should I just replace the airlock with a plug? What do I do?

I have never used a secondary with mine. I siphon carefully to a bottling bucket, leaving about an inch in the primary and start another batch on the yeast cake. It will totally clear in about a month.

For apfelwein, bulk aging is not an issue... if you're doing a 'real' cider, I would recommend 2-4 weeks in primary, 2-4 weeks in secondary, then 3-6 months in bulk aging... for bulk aging, you can just rack from secondary carboy to another carboy, and set the airlock, then put that carboy away in your closet and forget about it for a few months... I would recommend glass or (optimally) oak for your bulk aging...

Back