An aged red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbaughman

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has any suggestions for a recipe for an aged red ale? I'm really curious about this. Thanks for the help guys.

What is it you are trying to accomplish? Any ale can be aged - the question is, why?

Do you want it aged on oak? Or aged because it's a big huge barleywine-type red? Or aged because it's a lambic? What is it you like about aged beers, that you are trying to duplicate?

A big, malty red ale would be nice to age I guess. My friend brewed a Bonner (named after the Spurs Matt Bonner because he is a giant redhead) which is basically a Imperial Red Ale. Aged nicely after a year.

Aged on oak or something like that. I haven't had any aged red ales. But I tried dogfish head palo santo which I thought was very good but it was not red. I know I'm failing on my search bar but I know nothing about aging on oak or anything like that.

You aren't talking about a Flemish red, are you?

There would really be no reason to age an average ABV red longterm. The only good reasons I can think to age a red longterm would be if it were a Flemish red (sour) or an imperial (high ABV) red.

Back