Did I ruin my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkevj

Reaction score
So the other night I am brewing up a Pumpkin Ale. I put it in the primary fermenter (6.5 gallon bucket), pitch the yeast, and I go to put the air lock into the hole in the lid. As I do this, the black rubber washer pops out of the hole and sinks to the bottom of the bucket. I used a slotted spoon to fish it out, but i had to stick my hand in the wort because the spoon wasn't long enough.

I got the rubber washer and airlock on and everything seems to be fermenting properly. Do I need to worry about contamination?

As long as your hand was clean it's, probably, OK. You said it's fermenting, so it should be fine.

Welcome to the club of fermenting klutzes! :tank:

I remember when I pushed a stopper through the neck of a carboy, right after pitching. Fortunately, my supply store was still open, so I could go get a replacement and not have to fish the fallen stopper out until after I racked.

Like Iordz said, you should be fine. Only time and tasting will tell, though. There's no reason to throw out the batch until it's complete, so just relax and try it when it's done.

TL

I did the same exact thing a few months ago with a double IPA. The beer turned out just fine.

Someone from the board (yooper chick I think) recommended that I pick up a few extra grommets at the LHBS next time. I now have a stash of extra grommets and carboy stoppers.

Yep! Welcome to the grommet through the hole club! I think my first post here on HBT was the same question! I solved the issue by buying another $.35 grommet and it never happened again!

I also started putting my airlock on the lid first, and then putting the lid on the bucket, muttering to myself as I do it.

Don't worry about it. Your beer will be fine.

Ah, yes, the old "grommit in the brew" issue. I joined the club on my second brew, a brown ale. Same thing, as I was putting the airlock in the grommit fell into the brew. I, though, was not smart enough (read: drunk) to sanitize a slotted spoon, so I just reached on in there, found it, pulled it out, and replaced it. I then put the lid on let it ferment. My friends said, and still say, that it was the best batch I've made. I've never told them that I had to reach into it. Haha.

I learned to put the airlock on BEFORE putting the lid on the fermenter. It's a good tip. I haven't had any issues since.

Yes, you ruined it.
You can ship it to me after you let it ferment out, and I'll dispose of it in a proper, environmentally safe way.

I use a process that naturally turns it into a form of fertilizer.

Guess I don't feel so bad now. Thanks for the input....I will put the airlock on before snapping on the lid from now on....sounds like that is the solution! And Malkore, I am sure I can find a proper way of disposing it, but if I do need help you will be the first person I contact!

As long as ur hands were clean you're fine. Accidents happen, its beer not uranium, lol. No worries bud, she'll be fine.

Thanks to all of your responses to the original question. I have spent the last hour worrying about this same thing. I just brewed my first batch of beer and was so excited. I sanitized everything in the house including the kids and the dog. I was feeling really good until I pushed the gosh darn grommet into the brew. After reading your posts, I am feeling better. Thanks

I'm so glad that was your first post! That is what made me search, and I found HBT and asked the same question. I've stuck around, and made some outstanding beers because of HBT!

Welcome to HBT :mug: and the "grommet into the fermenter" club!

welcome to the club bro! by the way, i like malkore's idea of proper disposal. i am a fully licensed beer disposal professional so bring it to SC and i will make sure you don't get in trouble w/ the EPA.

Luckily enough people had posted an "I think I ruined my beer thread " that I was saved from makig a lot of mistakes the first time I made a batch. So to everyone who made the mistakes for me :mug: :D

My LHBS suggests ditching the grommet for a 1/2" piece of vinyl tubing. I use both and have not had problems with either.

One time I had to use a sanitized ball of crumpled aluminum with an airlock shoved in it. Beer tasted great!

Good tips! My second brew (Irish Stout) is currently fermenting, but I will definitely grab some extra grommets when I go back to my LHBS to restock.

bigkevj said:
So the other night I am brewing up a Pumpkin Ale. I put it in the primary fermenter (6.5 gallon bucket), pitch the yeast, and I go to put the air lock into the hole in the lid. As I do this, the black rubber washer pops out of the hole and sinks to the bottom of the bucket. I used a slotted spoon to fish it out, but i had to stick my hand in the wort because the spoon wasn't long enough.

I got the rubber washer and airlock on and everything seems to be fermenting properly. Do I need to worry about contamination?

Next time you should drop your yeast on the floor and add some bird feathers before you pitch:fro:

thats how you really brew:D

I did the exact same thing on my very first brew. The beer turned out just fine. If there was a problem the beer didn't last long enough for me to notice it. I drank that first batch pretty quickly!

Back