Advice Needed on Adding Molasses, Vanilla Beans, Cocoa Powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scanloni

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing an Ipswich Oatmeal Stout clone (5 gal, extract) purchased from AHB. Here's a link to the product:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1745

The brew should taste great as is, but I'm debating making a few additions just for fun to see if I can impart a subtle chocolate
chip cookie flavor. I thought the addition of molasses, vanilla beans and cocoa powder might do the trick. Thing is, I'm not exactly sure about how much and when. I'm pretty sure the vanilla beans should be split, scraped, and soaked in vodka for a week or so, then added to the secondary prior to racking to secondary? What about the molasses and cocoa powder? Like I said, I'd like the choc chip cookie flavor to be subtle, I don't want the stout to be overly sweet like liquified cookies.

Also, there are a few options with this kit that I'm not sure about such as which yeast option is best, do I need to double pitch, and should I try the yeast fuel? What are the best choices for these options based on the flavor profile I'm going for?

Lots of questions I know, but I really appreciate everyone's time, experience and input. This forum provides invaluable information and knowledge to new home brewers like me. The abundance of new ideas, techniques and support in general help keep brewing fun, challenging and rewarding. Thanks!

Vanilla beans can be split scraped and dropped into secondary. The molassas I would add at flame out and I would steer you FAR FAR away from cocoa powder. It is a mess no matter where you add it, makes a mess in your equipment and seldom will stay in suspension, use cocoa nibs instead at 15 and 0 in the boil.

I've used cocoa power many times. You need to add some of the wort (or some hot water) to the cocoa powder to form a paste, then add more to make a liquid slurry, then you can add it to the brew. If you just add in the powder, it will clump and not mix.

Calder said:
I've used cocoa power many times. You need to add some of the wort (or some hot) water to the cocoa powder to form a paste, then add more to make a liquid slurry, then you can add it to the brew. If you just add in the powder, it will clump and not mix.

That's exactly what I do. I heat some water in a pot then stir in the cocoa powder and add more water if necessary to form the consistency of slightly runny pudding. Then I add that a little at a time with about ten minutes left in the boil. It is very chocolaty looking when transferring to the fermenter, but the end product in my experience has a nice chocolate flavor and still clears nicely. I use 8oz in 5 gallons.

Back