Wine Refridgerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Will these work for fermenting with a 6 gallon carboy? Can they maintain a 68 degree temp? Using frozen water bottles in a plastic tub gets to be a bit PITA

I feel your pain. I tried to do the whole swamp cooler thing here in Texas and it just didn't work. I scored an older small fridge that somebody was using as a kegerator for $40. It's larger than most of the smaller fridges they make now. I added a johnson controller to it and I get really consistent temperatures.

Size was a definite issue. Not only do you need the height and width of the carboy but you need to add the height of the airlock, too. I'm not sure the interior of those wine fridges are large enough but you probably need to check them out in the store and measure the inside yourself to see if it will really fit. I'm also not sure whether the racks come out on those. They should say what the temperature range is. Those wine fridges seem more expensive than buying a small used fridge and a temperature controller but you might find a wine fridge on the cheap, too.

Most are not going to be tall enough, they usually make them wider to add bottles, to a point. its probably cheaper to score a fridge off craigslist and throw a A419 temp controller on it. I got a free one from my brother who no longer needed/wanted it. He got it free as well when he moved into an apt.

I've read where folks on these forums have had success using a wine cooler for fermentation. I looked for one for a few months on Craigslist but never found one reasonably priced in the Atlanta area so went with a used 5cf freezer for $40 instead.

Its easy...skip the carboy and go with a Vittles Vault.

Even the 10G one will fit in a regular mini-fridge...the 5G would probably fit in your overhead compartment :)

I just rolled my half water filled tub with carboy into the garage, what a PITA! Need to let it settle as I'll be bottling tomorrow. I have come across a couple wine fridges in the $100-$120 range...one seller says it will go up to 73 degrees, which is ideal. Once the summer gets here, there is no way in hell am I going to fill a tub with water and toss in frozen water bottles as needed. Pros Cons on this?

Don't ferment in your garage..
Find a empty closet and use that as your fermentation area...ice stays cold longer in the house too..
That what I'd do in your situtation...
Igotsand

I use a small wine refrigerator as my fermentation chamber. It fits a 6 gallon carboy perfectly if I use a blowoff tube. The airlock is a little too tall. The temperature can go up to the mid 70's. I usually keep it in the mid to low 60's, but I suspect it can go much lower, potentially to lagering temps.

The controller is just a knob, no specific temp settings.

I have looked at quite few wine chillers and they all have the compressor cover in the way..Is a chest freezer the only way to go? Anyone have a pic of a wine chiller/cooler as a fermenter?

I use a wine fridge as a beverage center (keg and bottles) but none of my carboys would fit in there - too big a diameter because of the compressor, as you say.

I use a small chest freezer I bought off of craigslist for $50, plus a digital temperature controller I bought from Midwest Supplies for around $80 with shipping, if I recall correctly, for a total outlay of $130 (actually, it was less for me because I had a gift certificate for Midwest).

You can see mine at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=new-fermentation-chamber The craigslist ad was funny "Small, five cubic foot freezer for sale, $50. He used to store his meat in it. Now he's gone and I want this gone, too." ;)

those chest freezers take up so much floor space. Someone needs to design and build one,get a patent and sell them to the LHBS

Get a Vissani 52 Bottle Wine Fridge from Home Depot. It will fit a 6.5 gallon carboy with either a small vinty style airlock (I tried this) or a carboy cap with a blow-off tube (switched to this). I had the setting at about 2 and it got the wort down to about 60F. I'm thinking I could probably lager in this thing. If you want more control, below is a DIY link to a temp control.

The fiance was pretty worried about this thing making our kitchen look like a frat house, but she was pleasantly surprised. This is actually a great looking fridge. One tip, if you do get one, wait about 4 hours before plugging it in. I plugged it in immediately when I got home and the coolant hadn't settled which caused it to make a popping sound (or something like that). Glad Home Depot is 2 blocks from my house.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/vissani-fermentation-chamber-290663/

Re: coolant settling, I was really glad I read the manual before plugging in my chest freezer over the weekend. In big print on the second page or so it warned not to turn it on for 24 hours after tipping it more than 45°. It'd been on its back to fit in the car for the trip home...

Regarding wine fridges, if the carboy fits, I am sure they'll work as well as any other fridge. However, most I've seen are more expensive than equivalent non-wine fridges, so unless you find one used, I'd think it'd be more cost-effective to get a different fridge. If you're after the aesthetics, though, that's different.

Get a Vissani 52 Bottle Wine Fridge from Home Depot. It will fit a 6.5 gallon carboy with either a small vinty style airlock (I tried this) or a carboy cap with a blow-off tube (switched to this). I had the setting at about 2 and it got the wort down to about 60F. I'm thinking I could probably lager in this thing. If you want more control, below is a DIY link to a temp control.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/vissani-fermentation-chamber-290663/

^^^ THIS!!!

I have two of these. They fit 6 gallon Better Bottles perfectly and I've gotten my wort temp down to 45* with those things. Excellent choice for a wine fridge.

Back