Timing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankhops

Reaction score
Hey All! I'm on my 4th kit, with some customizing going on. My plan was to brew this batch, and get some labels for an inside joke thing (another question later). This large group will be here Labor Day weekend. My goal was to have a batch ready for them as they know i brew. My question is on timing.

Intro - I'm doing an IPA kit that came with the grains, LME, a lb of DME, and 3 oz of hops. I bought an additional lb of DME and added an oz of Chinook and an oz of Pacific Jade.

I brewed the beer Aug.1, so I fear I delayed too long, but i had no choice. If i transfer it after 7 days to the carboy (Aug.8th), let that sit until Aug.22rd and then bottle, my plan was to drink some by Sept 1st. Am I crazy? My goal was to make a bigger IPA than the kit offered, so I know that I should let sit in the bottle for at least 2-3 weeks. In my scenario, it's only been bottled for a little over a week. If i grabbed a 12pack, is that bad?

Also, any ideas on best place for labels?

Thanks!
Jeff

You can skip the secondary and bottle as soon as the gravity has stabilized (probably in the 1.018 region, but this depends on your recipe and process). I would guess this will happen by August 15 or so, but this can vary.

If you are considering kegging - it cuts out the bottle conditioning time, & nothing says party like a keg. Downside - its expensive.

Latest posts

Back