Adventures in homebrewing kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KruegerBock

Reaction score
Does anyone have a 9 gallon SS kettle from adventures in homebrewing? They are on sale today and was thinking of buying one. Just wanted to get some input before I did

Just got my 9 gallon 1 weld in the mail today...seems perfectly fine to me. Looks clean, not banged up or anything.

Does the coupling go all the way through to the inside of the pot? I want to make sure I can add a hop screen eventually.

That's a pretty killer deal. Thanks for the heads up! Any idea when the sale ends?

That's a pretty killer deal. Thanks for the heads up! Any idea when the sale ends?

Tonight 11:59PM EST

Any idea how much the one welds usually are? I looked at it last night but I was a few pints into the night and I forget how much they were. I was comparing prices to the two weld on morebeer that's 89 but free shipping.

Spintab said:
Does the coupling go all the way through to the inside of the pot? I want to make sure I can add a hop screen eventually.

No it's flat inside, if that's what you're asking :/

No it's flat inside, if that's what you're asking :/

Sorry, I didn't use my words very well when I asked that. I'm just looking for the threads of the coupling to be accessible on the inside so something could be screwed into them. Be it a hop screen or pickup for a false bottom. Flat is cool as long as the inside opening isn't smaller than the inner diameter of the coupling. I'm assuming they drill hole just large enough to fit the coupling, then only insert it enough to clear the inside of the kettle wall.

Spintab said:
Sorry, I didn't use my words very well when I asked that. I'm just looking for the threads of the coupling to be accessible on the inside so something could be screwed into them. Be it a hop screen or pickup for a false bottom. Flat is cool as long as the inside opening isn't smaller than the inner diameter of the coupling. I'm assuming they drill hole just large enough to fit the coupling, then only insert it enough to clear the inside of the kettle wall.

I hear you. I'm not home right now, I'll try and get that info for you before the end of the sale.

Spintab said:
Tonight 11:59PM EST

Any idea how much the one welds usually are? I looked at it last night but I was a few pints into the night and I forget how much they were. I was comparing prices to the two weld on morebeer that's 89 but free shipping.

I believe it was 69.99

I hear you. I'm not home right now, I'll try and get that info for you before the end of the sale.

No rush man. I went ahead and ordered it anyway. Too good of a deal to pass up. If you get to it before tomorrow and it's not what I'm looking for I could cancel the order but like I said, not rush and don't feel obligated. I would be extremely surprised if it was built in such a way that you couldn't screw a nipple or other fitting into the inside of the kettle.

I believe it was 69.99

Yeah, I looked around a little and each one is 20 bucks less than usual. They are also some of the cheapest stainless pots I could find, let alone the welded fitting.

I was looking at the bayou classic pots on amazon and I noticed they are 20 gauge. These are 18 so they're thicker.

Man, I ordered mine 3 days ago :( still on sale I suppose, as it reads reg price is 99.99. Still, the price I paid 69, is nice. But damn, 49 would be better lol

Update on this. Got mine today. The coupling is butt welded so the hole is a little smaller than the threads of the coupling. Can't screw anything in from the inside as is but nothing a dremel can't fix. The pot is surprisingly nice. Much thicker than I expected. Definitely worth the price.

sorry i never got back to you. I find myself having trouble screwing the ball valve on all the way. Were you able to get it flush with the kettle wall?

It's cool. I usually macguyver stuff that doesn't work anyway. It has no choice but to work. I don't have fittings for it yet, I'll pick some up tomorrow and see how it goes.

I know this is an old thread, but I ordered one of these 9 Gallon kettles on a a recent black Friday Sale. It was only $39.99 + Shipping (about $52 overall). Normally $99.99 at the time of purchase. They sold out fast. Ordered the 1 weld option, because I prefer using digital thermometers.

Got it in the mail today.

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised. The steel seems thick and sturdy. My previous kettles were truly economy kettles (really thin and bendy polar-ware and another re-purposed stock kettle), but this kettle seems a lot better.

The welding isn't necessarily "pretty" but will be functional. The 3 piece SS ball valve I attached, along with the close nipple and barb, fits fine without issue (ordered from bargain fittings). The handles are welded. The lid seems pretty thin and flimsy, but fits the kettle fine. The magnet test failed, so can not use for induction brewing (in case anyone reading this was wondering).

There are a few markings on the kettle, like red marker near the welded handles. Also, there is an ever so slight indentation on the side of the kettle. I think it was from shipping. It isn't bad, but I feel it could have been prevented if the kettle was properly packaged for shipping. The box was actually broken and bent because the kettle was too large for the box. If it was my company, I would have at least used some bubble wrap to protect the kettle.

For the price, I can't complain too much. If I purchased it at full price, I'd be demanding a new one because of the indentation. I plan on using it to double as a mash tun and boil kettle.

Back