Measuring Iodaphor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
What is the easiest way to measure Iodaphor. 3/10 oz per 3 gallons of water might be a little hard for me to measure! Is there like an easier conversion like a tsp per gallon or something like that?

cyfan964 said:
What is the easiest way to measure Iodaphor. 3/10 oz per 3 gallons of water might be a little hard for me to measure! Is there like an easier conversion like a tsp per gallon or something like that?

1/2oz / 3 tsp to 5gal = 12.5 ppm
1oz / 6 tsp to 5gal = 25 ppm

go to your local pharmacy and get a medicine dropper. You can then measure out 3ml for 1 gallon. Usually the big chain pharmacy have these set out for free.

I use a 1.25ml spoon measure for each 1 litre of water.

Measuring_Spoons.gif

I use the small bottle of idophor. Not sure if the cap on the large one is same size or not. Anyway, I measured 2 capfuls into a 25ml beaker, and it filled to exactly the 15ml mark. So two capfuls is exactly right for no-rinse when adding into 5 gallons. It's just that simple!

LouT said:
I use the small bottle of idophor. Not sure if the cap on the large one is same size or not. Anyway, I measured 2 capfuls into a 25ml beaker, and it filled to exactly the 15ml mark. So two capfuls is exactly right for no-rinse when adding into 5 gallons. It's just that simple!

5 gallon sounds like a lot to me.
You only need to rinse stuff in it. To clean a carboy a quart or two should do.

I usually do 1/2 a carboy full, then upside-down it into a bucket, then I soak various items in the bucket - a tall thin bucket would be nice for those longer items like the auto-siphon. The larger diam bucket is good for coiling tubing into. Now I'm using a spray bottle with fresh mixed iodophor/water solution on a lot of stuff - that sure is handy.

From one of my (too) many other hobbies, I get 1 oz measuring cups from a hobby shop. Graduations in 1/8 oz, drams!, 5cc, 1/2 tsp increments. A little math and your set. I use 1/8 oz per 5 qts for my small batches.

Someone else posted this, so now I use it. But for longer items use a wall paper tray($2 at HD), only holds maybe a gallon and a half, but I can fit my hoses coiled, spoon and racking cane or anything else that is long in it.
For those who use the dunking method to sanitize bottles it works well and you don't have to waste a bunch of sanitizer.(I did this before getting an avinator)

Back