Siciliano's Market Appreciation Party 2011 Grand Rapids, Michigan!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Put on by Siciliano's Market May 13th and 14th.

They said they will try to have it put on their website: Sicilianosmkt.com this week, and it's up on their facebook page Siciliano's Market Facebook Page.

Here's the Nutshell:

Seminars are on Friday the 13th at the FOP Hall on Alpine starting at 6PM. The cost is $5 to attend the seminars and the speakers include:

Someone from Vivant Brewery
Someone taking about Beekeeping
Someone talking about Breadmaking
Someone from Siciliano's Market talking about yeast
Jeff Carlson, a well known local cidermaker
and someone from Sam Adams again this year.

The seminars are WELL worth the $5 even if they didn't hand out samples, which they have done at least the past 2 years. Last year Sam Adams contributed a bottle of Utopias for the BOS winner!

On Saturday the 14th the Party at Townsend Park in Grand Rapids (Cannonsburg, actually) begins at 11am. I'm guessing, based on previous experience, that there will be PLENTY of homebrew beer, wine, and cider, plus food and games and possibly some door prizes. The cost is $35 and well worth it hang out with other homebrewers and drink their beer. The Homebrew Competition winners will be announced then as well, and you can pick up your scoresheets if you like.

All in all a great time!

I called and let them know the website was not updated and honestly I couldn't even find the event on their facebook page, even though Steve said it was on there... I had to do a google search to find the homebrew competition information. Just letting you know in case you are going to try and find it.

I'll be there for sure..

Going to be trying something different this year. I have a cider going that I will be racking to a 20L oak barrel a week or two before the party. I'll then be serving the cider right from the barrel at the party. I sure hope it turns out like I think it will. lol

Yeah, cross my fingers!

I can't believe the great time I've had at this past years. I need to start figuring on a DD early so I don't have to sample so carefully like last year. (Then again, I did feel quite good afterwards, unlike most attendees I'm sure!)

I really don't have anything good to bring at this time. I doubt I'll have anything to submit to the competition. I may enter my Oktoberfest, just to get feedback. I think it clearly shows I underpitched the yeast, but I'd like someone with more experience to tell me.

Got 2 tickets! One for me, and one for a friend who doesn't really drink beer (DD!!)

But I'm very late at getting anything to the contest. I just don't know if I'll make it down there in time. So much to do. I haven't even tried out that bottle filling attachment for my perlick faucet.

It's killing me not to enter a beer today. I just don't have anything worth the trip down there at these gas prices...

Hopefully I'll have something decent to bring to the party besides a couple of empty growlers... ;)

Ohh MAN this makes me miss home! I just moved from GR to Salt Lake City in January and I was starting my research to begin homebrewing just before the move....Sicilianos is an incredible LHBS and I wish that I was still there to deal with those guys.

My LHBS is pretty decent and the guys are nice so it is not a loss, but not having access to New Holland, Dark Horse, Shorts, and Founders is pretty devastating...

How'd everyone do? I won gold in cat16 with my biere de garde. My buddy won gold in cat23. My brother won bronze witha RIS. I helped him out a little with and another buddy took silver witha scotch ale.

It was a great time. Troy's cider was my favorite. I think I had 3 different ciders there.

Rachael had a fantastic IPA and I didn't get to taste the Rye IPA she made before it was gone :(

I'm going to have to plan better next year. I didn't have anything worth bringing, and if I don't get to brewing pretty soon, my two kegs are going to be gone before the next batch is ready too!

Also, who was that chick with the short gray skirt??? Yowsa! =8D

This is the blog page from the Muskegon Ottawa Brewers (The MOB). Two members took Gold with Ross taking Best of Show.... congratulations Ross, Russ, and Tim
http://muskegonottawabrewers.blogspot.com/2011/05/sicilianos-homebrew-party-contest.html

Yeah, I saw that. Our club went 5 for 5 on medals but no entries to the BOS round :(. I really thought a gold 44 would get in but they had some great beers there. I was more excited that mine was judged by a brewer from Founders and he loved it :D. I didn't get to make the party this year, maybe next.

BTW, I really expected a CDA to win cat23 but my buddies American Rye Brown is a fantastic beer and deserved it.

Back