Delirium Tremens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbrew

Reaction score
Brewed this recipe this past weekend and it's bubbling away!

9 1/14 lb extra pale extract
1 1/2 lb clear candi sugar
1 can lyle's golden syrup

3 oz aromatic malt
1/2 lb munich malt
5 oz biscuit malt

1 1/2 oz styrian golding 60 min

1/2 oz styrian golding 15 min
1/4 oz saaz 15 min

1/4 oz saaz 5 min
2g paradise seeds 5 min

Smells great. Really foamy, first time I have had to use a blow off tube.

Sounds/looks good. I've had Delirium Tremens before and it is very tasty. Give it plenty of aging time and you won't be disappointed.

I personally am a big fan of this particular Delirium offering. What yeast did you use, or did you culture from a bottle?

I used a Whitelabs Belgian Ale 530 that I washed from a previous batch of a Chimay Blue clone. I am really excited about this beer. I will probably give it another 10 days in primary before I rack to a secondary (brite tank) and leave there until I get an open spot in the keezer.

That looks really good. By far Tremens is one of my favorite beers. Let us know how this one compares to the real mccoy.

That looks really good. By far Tremens is one of my favorite beers. Let us know how this one compares to the real mccoy.

I have not sampled the real thing yet. A friend said it was his favorite beer, so we decided to do a clone of it. I can't get the real thing hear locally, but a couple of weeks ago I was able to pick up a bottle in MO.

We are going to do a side by side comparison in two weeks when we have a brew day. Going to brew an Imperial Russian that I found here on HBT. I'll let you know how they compare.

Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter: HUGE
Batch Size (Gallons): 10
Original Gravity: 1.1324
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 178
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: void of light
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week
Additional Fermentation: eternity
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 weeks

Dark Night of the Soul
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 48.00
Anticipated OG: 1.13245 Plato: 30.668
Anticipated SRM: 53.3
Anticipated IBU: 178.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.3 40.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
5.2 2.50 lbs. Roasted Rye France 1.03000 95
4.2 2.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt Belgium 1.03000 500
4.2 2.00 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.03300 150
3.1 1.50 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.03000 120
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 178.8 60 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 48.00
Water Qts: 60.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 15.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 146 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 18.84 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Can you tell me how much all the ingredients costs for the OP's recipe?
I love this beer, and it is very expensive. So I want to brew it if it doesn't cost me too much.:tank:

Can you tell me how much all the ingredients costs for the OP's recipe?
I love this beer, and it is very expensive. So I want to brew it if it doesn't cost me too much.:tank:

I got the ingredients from AHS. http://www.austinhomebrew.com for about $50 + shipping. I used some washed WLP 530 from a previous Belgian Ale or it would have cost more.

I just dropped $11 on a bottle (about 25 oz.) to use in a side by side comparison.

Since my batch is about 25 of those bottles. I think I am going to come out ahead. :) Hopefully they compare well head to head.

I have not sampled the real thing yet. A friend said it was his favorite beer, so we decided to do a clone of it. I can't get the real thing hear locally, but a couple of weeks ago I was able to pick up a bottle in MO.

We are going to do a side by side comparison in two weeks when we have a brew day. Going to brew an Imperial Russian that I found here on HBT. I'll let you know how they compare.

I can't wait to hear how it turned out.

any word on how this turned out? I'm curious because I thought this beer used a special mixture of like 3 different yeasts or something to get it's unique flavor.

Side by side comparison will be next week. Probably Tuesday. The beer tastes great, but I have know idea how the original tastes so... until next Tuesday(ish). :)

I'll take a photo of both in glasses and try to write up a comparison.

Well? How did it go?? I LOVE pretty much anything from Delirium. Let us know because I have an itch to brew this...

I'm aging my DT clone right now.

It was all LME and sugar, no specialty grains. Goldings and Saaz hops, with GoP, coriander, and ginger for flavor. Used cultured DT yeast.

This recipe is supposedly spot on. Found it on the northernbrewer forums if anyone wants to check it out.

I'm aging my DT clone right now.

It was all LME and sugar, no specialty grains. Goldings and Saaz hops, with GoP, coriander, and ginger for flavor. Used cultured DT yeast.

This recipe is supposedly spot on. Found it on the northernbrewer forums if anyone wants to check it out.

Can you post it here?

any word on how this turned out? I'm curious because I thought this beer used a special mixture of like 3 different yeasts or something to get it's unique flavor.

I heard the same thing, that they use multiple yeast strains. I had it in bottle and on draft before and its sure is tasty but expensive.

No responses, no pics, no comparisons! We're dying to hear back!

Had a bunch of friends over to watch the Road tonight, and we did a side by side comparison of my attempt at DT with the real thing.

I have been drinking my clone for a couple of weeks and I have to admit it is my new favorite beer. However, I would not say that it is really close to the original.

I don't have photos, but srm of the original was about a 3 and mine was closer to a 5-6 on this chart. http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/printsrm.html

I would also say the original was a little lighter or drier, and that mine had more of a spiciness. I would say that mine also had a very slight alcohol bite in the background. Maybe mine needs to mellow a little more.

I would say that both are great beers. I think that I prefer mine more, which is a good thing since I have about 4 gallons left and I can't get the original in my area.

Oh, BTW The Road is very depressing.

Sadly, I just floated this keg Monday. I am going to brew this again. One of my favorite beers. However, I have gone AG. Not sure how to translate the Extra Pale Extract to grain. Any suggestions?

9 1/4 lb extra pale extract
1 1/2 lb clear candi sugar
1 can lyle's golden syrup

3 oz aromatic malt
1/2 lb munich malt
5 oz biscuit malt

1 1/2 oz styrian golding 60 min

1/2 oz styrian golding 15 min
1/4 oz saaz 15 min

1/4 oz saaz 5 min
2g paradise seeds 5 min

Maris Otter would be completely wrong for the style. Belgian Pilsener malt is required.

This.
And also this again.

When I brewed a clone attempt, I used this:

10lb pils mashed at 150
2lb beet sugar
14IBU Styrian @60
6IBU Saaz @30
3IBU Saaz @15
4gm qrains of paradise, 8gm indian coriander, 8gm candied ginger @5
Wy#1388 and SA-05 pitched together

I won't say it was DT, but it was close. It attenuated down to 1.005, giving me 9.5% ABV which was a little high. The color was spot on. Aroma was good- mine had a bit more spiciness and a bit less ginger. I might swap the ginger to fresh grated if I brew it again. Flavor was very close- mine had a hint of alcohol flavor as you'd expect.

Subscribing and adding this to my recipe queue

(If anyone knows another way to subscribe to threads, please let me know!)

Recipe I just made:
11.75 Belgian Pilsner 2 row
7 oz German Munich
5 oz Belgian Biscuit
3 oz Belgian Aromatic

1.5 lbs Belgian Clear Candy Sugar
1 lb Invert Sugar
1.75 oz styrian goldings
.5 oz czech saaz
grains of paradise

Mash 2 row and specialty grains at 149 for 90 mins Add 1.5 oz stytian goldings (5.6 HBU) for 90 mins of boil. Add sugar, invert sugar,.25 oz styrian,.25 czech saaz, and 1 tsp irish moss

11 minutes left of 90 minute boil, add .25 oz czech saaz and 1/4 tsp grains of paradise. Pitch WLP500 Trapist ale White lab (using starter, doubled for high gravity)

Came out ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! 1.082 OG, FG 1.014

Back