Sediment in bottle conditioned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that when you bottle-condition your beer, you get sediment at the bottom. Well I had some HB from an aquaintance that had very little if any sediment in his bottles and it was very fine. Yet when I bottle, there's usually quite a bit of it and it seems almost chunky... well small chunks... Any ideas?

Do you rack to a secondary and then bottle? Or primary then bottle? I know that makes a difference. Could also be when your racking that you might have your rack cane too far down into the batch to where the trub layer is. I think there are some finings or other stuff that you can add to your brew to clarify it up. However from what I understand, it's only cosmetic. It doesn't hurt a thing.

This variance is also a product of the yeast strain itself. Different yeasts will look differently in the bottom of the bottle.

Back