Grain life span

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used grains (unfrozen and unmilled) that were kept in airtight containers and wer over a year old. no issue at all. I've used hops pellets have been in the freezer for year too (foodsaver vacced).

I just used the last of the grain I had from last August and it tasted just slightly less fresh than this year's purchase but not to the point that I wouldn't use it. I'd say 18 months would be my limit before I'd toss it.

Hops are weird for me because some vac sealed pellets that I've kept in the freezer have gone cheesy and turned yellow within a year. I did have a freezer failure and they got warm for about a week, but I thought they'd last longer. In any case, I will be using fresher hops for finishing and save the older stuff for bittering.

Thanks for the input. A friend gave me about 6 lbs of various grains that he's kept frozen for about 10 years. He also gave me a pound of 6.1 % Cascade hop pellets that are about just as old. They all look good. Hops look fresh and green. I guess I'll figure out a recipe based on the grains he gave me and give it a go and see what turns out. Only investment will be some yeast and perhaps some LME.

Just taste the grain. If it tastes good, then use it. However using stale grain will produce stale tasting beer.

Back