Propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
How many AG batches do you get out of a standard BBQ propane tank? I've gotten three so far, and the tank is getting light. I don't want to run out, but the place where I fill it charges a flat rate, so I don't want to take it back half full either. Eventually I will get a second tank, but not just yet$.

jeffg said:
I believe I have done at least five on my current tank.

That's good to know. I've three full boils on a new exchange tank myself.

I guess results will vary depending on what type of burner/BTU, etc.

Weigh it. The tare weight is stamped on the collar, so you can do the math and figure out how much you've used and if what you have left is enough.

I have four 20 pound (5 gallon) tanks, and will probably add one more. Why? I use them for a number of purposes other than brewing. Refilling is a lot cheaper than cylinder exchange. It takes less time and it's less of a bother to refill several tanks at once when you have to refill. The UHaul store where I get my tanks refilled has price breaks at various quantity amounts, so I save even more money by buying at least 16 gallons at a time.

Was going to buy a 30lb tank and realized it's cheaper to buy two 20 lb tanks. So I will buy two.

I might add two LP inputs to my new brew tower (sculpture) with a ball valve on each so I can leave two tanks hooked up and just close/open ball valves when a tank runs out. Hmm... lets see _another_ $20 or so in fiitings and another $20 flexible SS hose.....

OK, maybel I'll just finish the damn thing, THEN add more shiite to it!

This monsters (and it IS a Monster) cost is adding up.. Thank God for Credit cards. I can see the total cost AFTER it's built then feel guilty and brew more beer to justify the cost, then drink said beer to drown out the guilt. hahaha

Steel tree with 4" sqare steel about 7 feet high and big thick angle iron "shelves" sticking off it. Took enough flipping welding rods (stick) and about 2 lbs of fluxcore wire but it's almost done! First time welding in 16 years too.

I just picked up a 100lb cylinder for $89 and filled it for $112 (purge fee). UHaul as well.
This should last a while.

I usually get 3 1/4 brews out of the 20lb. Start warming up the brew water and the flame starts dwindling, it's also used for the grill.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
What? Are you an airgun person?

No. I use them mostly for cooking (grill, fryer, smoker, two burner stove, brush torch for starting charcoal). And now brewing.

4 worked today, I had a backup only a mile away, if needed. I heated all the mash and sparge water on the stove. I think I'll try 5 just for kicks.

My backup is about 2 blocks away at my parents house. They don't even have to be home. A few times I've stolen and returned it before they got back.

beer4breakfast said:
No. I use them mostly for cooking (grill, fryer, smoker, two burner stove, brush torch for starting charcoal). And now brewing.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I don't know why, I thought we were talking about co2. My bad.

Currently have 3- Grill, Mosquito Magnet, and Brew burner. Whenever I run out on one, I grab one from another, and then get the empty filled. I am adding a 4th this winter that I will always keep in the garage. Also, since I am going to AG w/full boils, I will be using more. Right now, I heat up steeping and mini mash water on the stove inside.

I was using the standard size unit, and got fed up:mad: I went to one double the size to save on trips

P7180002.jpg

cost me around 90.00 filled out the door

Oh! There is always wood to use like they did in the old days

Glad somebody asked this question. I just brewed my first batch last night and was wondering how much propane I used. Luckily I have one for my grill and I 'inherited' two more when we moved into the new house (one even about half full!). I guess I'll be making a trip to U-Haul soon.

I got 6 1/2 brews (75 minute boils) out of my last tank. With my old blow torch burner, I used to get about 3 - 4 I think (Hey - it was a long time ago. I can't remember trivia like that.)

-a.

Latest posts

Back