Decoction vs. Step infusion for a Sam Adams clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St. Jon's Wort

Reaction score
I've decided that I am going to attempt a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone (since it is my favorite domestic craftbrew). I have a recipe that I got off of this forum but from what I've read, Sam Adams uses a decoction mashing technique to achieve the color, aroma, and flavor of their lager. My question is, since the malts are modified so well nowadays, is a decoction mash even necessary? I don't have any experience with a decoction mash but if it is necessary to create an authentic taste, smell, and feel then that is what I am going to try/do, but if it isn't necessary to achieve the same results, I may try another method.

If anyone can give me any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I've decided that I am going to attempt a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone (since it is my favorite domestic craftbrew). I have a recipe that I got off of this forum but from what I've read, Sam Adams uses a decoction mashing technique to achieve the color, aroma, and flavor of their lager. My question is, since the malts are modified so well nowadays, is a decoction mash even necessary? I don't have any experience with a decoction mash but if it is necessary to create an authentic taste, smell, and feel then that is what I am going to try/do, but if it isn't necessary to achieve the same results, I may try another method.

If anyone can give me any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

The decoction topic has been beaten to death on just about every homebrewing forum. Decoction or multi-temp infusion mashes are not necessary to convert the typical modern malts as they are highly modified, however, the brewer's choice of mashing technique goes beyond simply converting starches. Unlike some of the big forums there is at least an openmindedness here at HBT about decoction mashing. Just post a question asking what temperature to use for a multi-temp mash at B3 and see how long it takes for an unsolicited reply telling you you shouldn't do it. ;) A number of homebrewers, myself included, feel the decoction mashing procedure does add nuances of color, flavor and intangibles to a beer that are not obtainable any other way. There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere describing the technique and a sticky video thread on this site which you might find helpful. Doing a decoction mash will take more time and work than a simple infusion but it ain't rocket science and if you are comfortable brewing all-grain you won't have any problems adapting. My suggestion is to try it, either on this beer or a future batch, and rather than being influenced by the endless "tastes great, less filling" arguments on the subject make up your own mind. :mug:

BigEd is right. But my comparison with very similar recipes between decoction and step-mashing is very subtle, if noticeable at all. Nothing wrong with doing a decoction though. Just be careful with the proteolytic temperature range. Probably the best thing to do is to stay out of the optimal protease range altogether... do an acid rest if you want, decoct up to ~142°F for maybe 45 min., then up to 158°F for 30 min... then mash out, if fly-sparging.

Probably the best thing to do is to stay out of the optimal protease range altogether... do an acid rest if you want, decoct up to ~142°F for maybe 45 min., then up to 158°F for 30 min... then mash out, if fly-sparging.
Agree with this. When doing a decoction, I'll mash in at around 104 degrees, infuse up to 140 for a maltose rest and decoct up to the dextrinization rest. But even though I batch sparge, I'll do a decoction mash out. It makes for a long, but interesting and fun brewday. Enjoy!

:off:
Went out to eat last night and the best beer they had was Sam Adams Boston Lager. I've been on an IPA drinking streak that left the SA seeming like a Bud Lite. Had a hard time choking it down.

Might be time to give the old taste buds a rest. :D

Latest posts

Back