Kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
1. Is this ball-lock or pin-lock?

2. Once I finished fermenting the beer, can I put it in the keg with sugar to carb it and leave it at room temperature just like bottling? How long can it stay at room temp until it needs to be refrigerated?

3. How long does it take for a 5 gallon keg to go from room temp to serving temp in a fridge?

4. How long can a keg last if it is refrigerated and unopened?

Thanks.

Much appreciated.

Eric

Appears to be pin lock.

3 weeks to become carbonated from priming sugar, can still leave it in ambient temperature for who knows how long, probably longer than you can wait.

Maybe 2-3 days to become the correct temperature, depends on the temp of the fridge.

Can leave it in the fridge for who knows how long, again probably longer than you can wait.

Have you read this yet?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sticky-kegging-faqs-43347/

Happy kegging:rockin:

+1 on Pin Lock

+1 on time

Beer can last for over a year depending on the type if refrigerated and kept on gas.

if naturally carbing, I wtill recomend using CO2 to seat the lid and purge the air in the headspace.

I'd recomend staying away from pinlock kegs, they are not as prevalant as balllock (I am sure they work just as well). I buy my balllock kegs for $25 each. Almost everyone will recomend get one type and stick with it.

check out this thread...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/pin-locks-what-would-you-pay-pin-lock-coke-keg-126299/

Thanks for all the replies. I found conflicting info on what is ball lock v. pin lock.

I previously read that thread and definitely do not want pin lock for the reasons listed.

Here's another question:

I think it would be a good idea to have a chest freezer, but I don't know what the best size is.

I think I want to keep at maximum 4 corny kegs, a 6.5 gallon carboy for lagering/cold crashing, and also a couple cases of commercial beer. Would a 7 or 8 cubic feet chest freezer be big enough?

Eric

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/

I have Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. at Home Depot for $219
ChestFreezer-MagicChef-7.2.jpg

I keep 4 kegs with picnic taps on the floor, my 5# tank and regulators on the hump with a dozen chilled pint glasses.

If you can find a good price on a used one on craigslist, you probably want something in the 14cf range to fit everything you mention. the Magic Chef is the only 7cf that will hold 4 without a colar that I know of.

Thank you for the quick replies.

This forum is by far the most helpful and informative online community that I have used. Thanks for all of your help.

Eric

I'd recomend staying away from pinlock kegs, they are not as prevalant as balllock (I am sure they work just as well). I buy my balllock kegs for $25 each. Almost everyone will recomend get one type and stick with it.

They do work fine, I have both pin and ball (mainly because they were cheap), no problems with either, some pinlocks don't have pressure relief but I just use a lid from a ball lock for them, etc. Have been picking up kegs etc at metal reclamation yard for 83 cents a pound.:rockin:

Back