How long can I keep cider in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pood

Reaction score
I made edwort's cider about 2 month ago and I still haven't gotten around to getting a keggin system yet. How long can I keep it in the carboys?

I would probably rack it over to a clean carboy and get it off the lees, but it's really up to you. I've heard of people leaving it in primary for a long time with no claimed ill effects.

As long as it has a bed of CO2 and it is is out of the light,,, I would say many months.

bed of CO2? sorry noob here.

CO2 pushes the air out if you have headspace.
If you rack to a new carboy make sure it has very little headspace to minimize possible oxidation. Your best bet is to leave the airlock on your primary and park it in a dark corner until you are ready. It will hang in there.

I opened both of them to taste, is that okay? One of them probably a gallons worth haha.

I opened both of them to taste, is that okay? One of them probably a gallons worth haha.

If you have headspace you need to either add clean/sanitized lead-free glass marbles (3# will displace just one liter) or downsize to smaller carboys.

If you have headspace you need to either add clean/sanitized lead-free glass marbles (3# will displace just one liter) or downsize to smaller carboys.

Crud, it's had headspace then for the last month, does it mean my cider has spoiled?

Back