Ingredients in State College, Pa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So i moved to State College Pa in September, and i finally have all my stuff together to brew... Now i have nowhere to get the ingredients... I went to some wine place in Altoona that claimed to have ingredients but he had very little, and wouldn't mill the grain for me (i don't have a mill)... Is there anywhere i else i can go rather than relying on mail order...

Even if there was just a place that i could pick up yeast from so i don't have to pay extra for packing that away?

thanks for your help

If you're really, really nice, I'll bet Charlie at Otto's (2105 N. Atherton St.) will give you fresh, lovely yeast. Ask nicely, mind, and CALL FIRST.* While you're at it, you might float the idea of buying some grain from him, too. I'd not ask him to grind it, though.

As for ingredients, I don't know of anyplace closer than Mr Steve's in York. That's where I used to go when I still lived in Lewistown. Yes, it sucked. Mightily.

Good luck!

Bob

* If you do get lucky and can get some yeast, bring your own pre-sanitized quart container. I used fresh, new Rubbermaid (no scratches). Whatever you do, don't forget to thank the brewer!

You have a few options.

There is a mail order place very close. The website is Delta Blue's Home Brewing Supplies. He carries quite a bit of stuff and he has special ordered things for me, and his shipping is speedy

If you are willing to drive an hour, there is a homebrew supply store in Milton, about and hour east of State College, call the Hop Shoppe. The number is 570-742-6069. The owners name is Jim. Call before you make the drive, his hours can vary. He is reasonably priced.

The other option is Harrisburg. There a few supply stores down that way.

You have a few options.

There is a mail order place very close. The website is Delta Blue's Home Brewing Supplies. He carries quite a bit of stuff and he has special ordered things for me, and his shipping is speedy

If you are willing to drive an hour, there is a homebrew supply store in Milton, about and hour east of State College, call the Hop Shoppe. The number is 570-742-6069. The owners name is Jim. Call before you make the drive, his hours can vary. He is reasonably priced.

The other option is Harrisburg. There a few supply stores down that way.

Just a heads up
From Jim's recent newsletter

Hop Shopper's,

Due to the unprecedented lack of interest in beer brewing & wine making in the past six months, I've had no alternative but to acquire a second job.

As a result my hours will be varied. It would be advisable to call before you make a trip in. 570-742-6069

Sorry about an inconvenience, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Jim

Yeah, the hop shoppe is seeming like the best option right now, google maps says 1 hour and 30 min drive, which means 60-75 min, which isn't too bad... the country wines place isn't that bad i would just need to get a mill, which is something i'd like to do, but in general, when a business can't offer a simple service like milling, i question their attention to other details...

The hop shoppe is my LHBS, but plan on making some substitutions to your recipe if you go in with one. It's a small place, nice, but small. His selection is appropriate for his size and he can order in anything you want. Just have to call him first.

in general, when a business can't offer a simple service like milling, i question their attention to other details...

Why? Because the shop doesn't want to offer you a free or inexpensive service? How does that impact attention to detail?

Does not compute.

Please keep in mind what you wrote in your original post. He's a WINE guy. Why do you expect him to even know what well-milled grain looks like?

Cheers,

Bob

There's also Nittany Valley Hardware up in Zion. Their primary focus is wines, but they do have some kits and a tiny bit of grain. Though I've never done it, they will order stuff for you. They are very friendly. Good for caps, and other misc. I buy base malt in bulk (North Country Malts) and then do specialty grain by mail order.

I recently stopped in at Scotzin brothers in Lemoyne. Not much more than 1.5 hrs from my house (near the intersection of Bus. 322 and 45). Very nice shop!

If you need to mill some grain, let me know

PS. my wife and I will be at Zenos 3/28 for the - Exotics - Oddballs, Extreme, One Offs and Strange brews $30 3-8 PM. I'm hoping for some recipe ideas. I'm planning on getting there early to hopefully get a table. There's a good chance I'll be wearing a brown t-shirt that says "what happen in the cellar, stays in the cellar"

Check the directory at BeerAdvocate.com for LHBS in PA. I've always been tempted to drive up to the Altoona one but after reading the reviews I'm glad I didn't. There was one in Bellefonte according to BA but I guess it closed

I just found Porter House in Pittsburgh that has a good site at Beer and Wine Making Supplies | Porter House Brew Shop good prices and flat shipping that's only one day away since it's in PA. I think that's your best bet rather than driving at least an hour. Haven't ordered from them but planning on it soon.

Wait a couple months, Otto's will have some nice hops out front, but I don't think they're for the taking:D

I know this is an old thread but thought I should add an update. Bootlegger's Brew Shop in Altoona is very nice. Only half hour drive, very nice and knowledgeable owner, and they have a great supply of products for brewing.

Back