fermenting orange juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toularat

Reaction score
I am reporting on the progress of my Orange Malt Cider.

6 weeks ago I started a small batch of orange juice with dme. It is beginning to clear and it is horrid, awful stuff. I do not recommend using orange juice.

I will stick it to the back of the cellar and give it much time, but based on how it tastes right now, it is a flop.

Thanks for letting us know.

I always thought ICK! but it's nice to hear someone who's actually tried. My thoughts were influenced by the smell/taste of OJ left out on the counter, and the idea that fermenting orange juice would really be gross.

BUT- according to Jack Keller's website, oranges make a nice wine. I've had it once, but I don't know what all was in there. I do use oranges and lemons in my dandelion wine, and that turns out great.

Yes, I think a few fresh oranges would be good in a wine, but not orange juice concentrate. It doesn't smell too bad, but the taste is just like spoiled orange juice.

oh well, now we know.

Back