My worst brew week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebl

Reaction score
So, lets start, last Sunday.

I get up to make my Blonde Ale with a Kolsch starter I had built up. After I had heated strike water and started my mash, I got ready to heat sparge water. That's when my burner decided to take a dump. So quick dash for a new tank of LP and a new regulator and hose.... still nothing. The burner won't light. So I do what any good homebrewer does, order a Bayou Classic SP-10 (the 185,000 BTU dude). I couldn't find a replacement burner that day so I had to toss out the whole mash.

So now we're at today, Friday. I am leaving for a week vacation tomorrow. SWMBO is out of town, my brand new burner arrives today, I have a bag of grain to make BM's Litehaus Wheat, and just happen to have a Cream of Three Crops ready to transfer so there's a nice Saf 05 yeast cake waiting.... perfect. I can get a batch made and I won't be here for a week while it's fermenting away.

So after I had mashed PERFECTLY and finished my first sparge, I walk over to the burner to grab my 2nd batch sparge....... then it happened.

My brew pot was resting on two cinder blocks, fell over. Now don't worry, the dog was inside, and I was alone so no one was hurt, but I also have no one to blame.

I guess things could be worse... but I just need a shoulder to cry/pout on. Just one week and two failed batches. At least now I can sit here and sip on my Avery Anniversary Fifteen.

Thanks for listening.

The good news is that you probably won't surpass this week in terms of brewing misfortune. That seems about as bad as it gets. At least you have beer...

wow....i feel pretty bad for u. I will never know what its like to compleltly ruin a batch. just a little question so i don't have to start a whole nw thread...what type of container do u store your yeast cake in? :)

At least, they died young. How much sadder it would have if they reached the full bloom of maturity, only to dropped down the basement stairs.

wow....i feel pretty bad for u. I will never know what its like to compleltly ruin a batch. just a little question so i don't have to start a whole nw thread...what type of container do u store your yeast cake in? :)

I was the carboy that I had fermented the CTC in. I was just going to rack right on top of it, give it a good shake to mix and aerate, and let it go.

Back