"Aging" Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
I know for fermentation..the recommended temp is less than 70ºF. I was wondering if the same temp is recommended for aging? My brew seems to be done fermenting and I am going to leave it in the primary for 2 weeks...is it ok if it goes up to 75 or higher?

I will be away for the next 3 days..and wasn't sure if i need to leave a/c or fan on w/ the whole tshirt wick trick. Weather will be get hot (80s, 90s)over the weekend.

I'd prefer to never have a beer see 75+ degrees no matter what ever again. Funky things can happen.

I'd leave the AC on.

Then keep it in a cool dark place.....it'll reward you.

I'd prefer to never have a beer see 75+ degrees no matter what ever again. Funky things can happen.

I'd leave the AC on.

Then keep it in a cool dark place.....it'll reward you.

Ok...i figured...does that "no matter what" even include when it is bottle conditioning...I thought that was 70º+...or is it simply 70º?

Bottle conditioning can go a little higher...but I wouldn't store the bottles at above 75 or so for the long term. After the 'carbing' fermentation (3 weeks or so) it's better for longevity to store at cooler temperatures. Like wine. Warm temps will destablize the beer and it won't last as long.

I ferment and age all of my beers at 60 degrees (except that one time I made a lager but that's a different story). I wouldn't let them get over 70 degrees if you can help it and anything over 80 will start to cause skunking.

Mine ferment and age at 70 degrees this time of year.

If you risk higher temps, I'd do the t-shirt trick. Use a fan too to pick up a few degrees.

Fermenter_Cooler3.jpg

Fermenter_Cooler4.jpg

Back