Where to score kegs for keggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
OK, I've been looking for pointers all over the forum, but my brain is getting fried now. (This is a huge place!)

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy a couple of old kegs that I can convert? I'm in Ohio, south west of Cleveland. I apologise if this is a much repeated request, I've been over-researching all over the interweb, and seem to have arrived back where I started :(

Craigslist is good. It's hit or miss, mostly a miss. But sometimes you get really REALLY good deals on them there. That's where I've gotten my kegs.

Craigslist is a decent place to look. I got 3 yesterday for $20 bucks just driving home though.

I ran into the same problem. None of the salvage yards here in the Detroit area seem to want to fess up to taking them (legally or illegally) for some reason and my intermittent Craigslist searches have proven fruitless. I'm still looking and I've got a standing offer from a friend of mine to get me three if I brew two batches just for him. I can guarantee those kegs won't be legit though.

I ran into the same problem. None of the salvage yards here in the Detroit area seem to want to fess up to taking them (legally or illegally) for some reason and my intermittent Craigslist searches have proven fruitless. I'm still looking and I've got a standing offer from a friend of mine to get me three if I brew two batches just for him. I can guarantee those kegs won't be legit though.

Kyle, Hopman's has them now, there is even a guy in the SNOB's brew club that can cut and weld them for you.

Linc

Check with your local beer distributors, see if they have any that are being taken out of service. Or you could just cruise around and look out back behind a few bars........not that I'd do it or anything

No help on the keggle source, but its nice to see a few fellow Detroit Area brewers! :mug:

Keep an eye out for careless restaurants that leave them on the curb...:D

only 1/2 kidding.

When you see that, go ask the manager if you can purchase the empty keg.

So, first the on topic: Since I posted that I looked I pinged Craigslist again and found one in Ypsi. :cool:

:off:
Kyle, Hopman's has them now, there is even a guy in the SNOB's brew club that can cut and weld them for you.

Linc

Yes, but for how much? I'm a cheap ba$tard... IIRC when I bought my extract kit he had them, for like $150.
Homer I work in Wixom!!

Why aren't you guys members of SNOB's? http://www.snobsbrewclub.com

Linc

Laziness? I guess I really don't have a good excuse. :rolleyes:
Ok, I registered on the SNOBs forum under the same name at 1:41 PM today and sent the supplied email address a question about attending meetings about 2 minutes later. :rockin:

I scored three kegs from a micro brewery. They take kegs out of service regularily. Try and talk to the guys brewing, tell them you're a homebrewer looking to build an all grain rig. I lucked out and ended up bumping into the head brewmaster, he went out of his way to be nice.

Good luck!

Call your local distributors. Ask if they have any decommissioned kegs.

Otherwise, go to a college/frat party. Just find one & show up... Wear the local jersey/t-shirt, tell johnny football he played a nice game, & work your way out with a keg... Kegs go empty in no time & they usually give em away because they don't know what else to do with them. I went to one once where there were old, empty kegs stacked up like beer cans...

Call your local distributors. Ask if they have any decommissioned kegs.

Otherwise, go to a college/frat party. Just find one & show up... Wear the local jersey/t-shirt, tell johnny football he played a nice game, & work your way out with a keg... Kegs go empty in no time & they usually give em away because they don't know what else to do with them. I went to one once where there were old, empty kegs stacked up like beer cans...

For everyones information, decommissioned kegs are still sent back to the breweries. Distributors are the worst place to buy kegs. I would suggest your favorite local beer store, not a major chain, but if you are friendly with the staff I am sure they will work with you. But major distributors have to return their kegs to their breweries or they are in trouble. The metal alone is worth more than the deposit now-a-days.

I got both my kegs from a local beer store for the deposit price ($30). The owner had no issues as long as the deposit was covered so he was covered.

For everyones information, decommissioned kegs are still sent back to the breweries. Distributors are the worst place to buy kegs. I would suggest your favorite local beer store, not a major chain, but if you are friendly with the staff I am sure they will work with you. But major distributors have to return their kegs to their breweries or they are in trouble. The metal alone is worth more than the deposit now-a-days.

I went to my local Miller distributer to get mine. They charged me $30 for it and it was in real good shape. After I bought it, I ran into one of their drivers who I talk to when getting coffee at the same gas station he delivers to. He told me he had one he would give me. Now I only need to get a third when I decide to make that jump to all grain.

What about kegs like Jack Daniels 15.5 gallon given to me? They only brewed between 1994 and 1997. I've been given a few kegs from a local beer delivery driver with the 5th wheel rig. A couple variety 6 packs of Russian Stouts in return for a couple of different brand kegs. I'm happy he's happy. No cash involved.

In my area all the pubs have to watch out for the "scrap metal collectors", a few "scrap metal colectors" have offered me kegs between a 6 pack of a heavy good bier up to $20 each. I have helped a few of these people with a jump start or fixed a flat. I'm in a small town.

On craigslist, I would post a "wanted" ad for kegs... I have been getting them steadily for the last few months for 30-60 dollars each. Offer up some homebrew and they seem to come callin' from all over in the Boston area...

As for scrapyards, you will find a lot of trouble getting kegs from them. It's illegal for them to accept them, and most of them know that. The only other suggestion has been mentioned- talk to some microbreweries in your area...

A keg 29.7 pounds is only worth .70 to .80 cents a pound for 304 SS at a dirty scrap yard, most know they are stolen and will not take them.
Back to your Craigslist or ebay the shipping alone can cost more than you initally paid for the kegs. The most I have ever paid was $25 for a clean not bashed up AB to a 6 pack from a AB driver to free from a keg found in a neighbors ivy grown over fence.
Stay local ask around it sure beats shipping costs.

Thanks to everyone posted so far! I think the most important thing that I've learned is not to bother phoning scrapyards as it's illegal for them to buy them, so just dress scruffy and go there in person!? ;)

+1 on the fraternity house. Show up on saturday or sunday morning while they are hung over and offer them some cash.

Anyone had any luck approaching the local major brewery? There's a Busch plant about a mile from my office, wondering if they have any that they junk which are still good for keggles.

Anyone had any luck approaching the local major brewery? There's a Busch plant about a mile from my office, wondering if they have any that they junk which are still good for keggles.

That would be my second choice looking for legal used kegs if the supplier will sell to the public.
So far a bier truck driver in my area has been cool, he will not take any cash he's straight. I have in the past given him a coupe 6 packs made up with a mixture of different Russian Stouts for a couple of damaged kegs. Some kegs could have a damaged top or bottom ring that I will remove anyway during my keg modifications.
The Pisser is different brand kegs have different body, base and top ring diameters not allowing for a direct clean butt weld not what i'm looking for. Keeping it all within one brand of keg or diameter works no matter the brand. I'm working with kegs like AB that have a 49 1/8" circumference, other brands down to 48 3/8" I have found. With a .238" diameter difference or .119" misalignment at the weld joint a massive ugly weld and buggie collector.
I'm surprised the amount of kegs High School kids end up with (under age drinking my azz parties going on in the summer). My son is 17 and knows about these parties in this small town, kegs are offered to me for little cash. Sorry they belong to the supplier no matter what the wasted deposit is, this is not right, purchase legal kegs. Done ranting.

I had purchased from them app 3-4 years ago then found out the company went to the east coast. Sad as i'm in the S.F. Bay Area app 98 miles away and cheap shipping vs shipping across the country costing more than the kegs initial price. Great quality used equipment, heck just checked a couple corny kegs last month and they still had pressure from their charge.

Cregar;

Yes the CHI Company at 6070-K Enterprise Dr. Diamond Springs Ca. 95619-9442 is a great keg and corny supplier and are selling corny and 15.5 kegs as I type.

www.chicompany.net
email: [email protected]
Phone (530) 622-8265

Today I just ordered another 4 corny kegs for $92 plus this month they come with free new gaskets. A four pack will ship in one box at least thats how they've shipped in the past. My shipping bill is $13 i'm app 100 miles away.
Just got off the phone with Matt a great person to talk to at CHI.
He told me that Pepsi shut down all their pre mix operations and CHI Company picked up everything. This amounts to 7,000+ corny kegs,washer,fill line and carbo tanks.
Was told it could be 6 months or maybe a year then all their corny kegs could be all gone. Then watch the prices go up on 'em. Home Brew Suppliers purchase corny kegs as well 15.5 gallon kegs from them, the 15.5 gallon go for $69.
Matt said they are working on future shipments of 1,3 and 5 gallon corny's from Asia shipped to CHI.

Again, thanks Matt at CHI Company.

Today is Tuesday and my corny kegs have already arrived by 2:00 PM with a complete new seal kits for all.
Sub total: $92
Tax: $6.90
Shipping: $15.78
Total: $114.68

All kegs have stickers outside and only one a couple small dents that can be ball peen hammered out. Dents only bad for looks not function so no correction is needed but will correct.
Thanks Cregar for posting the CHI Company as I thought they were gone years ago, hell might order another 4 pack can't have too many corny's and brew handy. Wife AKA "WAR DEPARTMENT" has gotten over it so I may squeak in another order 4 pack.
Deal with Matt he's the man.

Do they only carry the ball style Pepsi kegs? I got 6 pin-lock styles locally and I'd like to stay within a corny variety.

This is amazing - 35 posts and no sign of a keg [Mod redacted] Not long ago, anytime a thread like this came up you had everyone and their dog telling you the keg belongs to the brewery (which it does). If someone were to mention trying to get one by paying the deposit, or even "buying" one on craigslist, etc. they would be ridiculed as an immoral thief. I'm glad to see this thread didn't go that way.

You just couldn't leave it alone could you...

Obligatory post: Anyone trying to get one by paying the deposit or even "buying" one on craigslist, etc. is an immoral thief.

:D

... and hopefully it doesn't look anything like this.

attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back