How deep does your obsession with brewing go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
I'm planning recipes for late may/early june right now.
I always know the next two things I'm making.
And I have the ingredients for my next two beers already.

I have no idea what I'm brewing next but I have this:
brewstandcomplete.jpg

Am I obsessed with brewing or building?

I'm throughly obsessed. Got 5 lined-up...

.... working on #6. (most likely Strawberry-Kiwi Wheat for SWMBO)

I have ingredients for the following; ESB, Raspberry Porter, Amarillo Pale, Nelson Savin Pale Ale, Edworts Haus Ale.

:rockin:

I don't know if I am obcessed....

grain_pron.jpg
hop_pron.jpg

I did decide to stock up for a few months of brewing.....:D :D

I'm pretty obsessed. I think about it almost as much as the other thing guys think a lot about:cross:. I'm also jealous of Bobby_M. I thought I had a pretty cool keg set-up until I saw his!

Current plans don't have me home until November, but already have first two batches of wine, one of mead, and two of beer planned, and was just looking for third beer earlier. :)

If I can't afford to brew, I'm checking things out here...Like 2 hours a day? SWMBO Says more.
I have a whole lot of lists on my Microsoft one Note...that way I can add to it either at home or at work. One for nest brew(S) one for things to pick on the next trip to town (at the LHBS) I brew some wine and mead in Milk Jugs...just to keep me occupied...may never even bottle, but if the urge or a recipe strikes me....I'm off to the kitchen.
I get bottles form the local bar (Wish I could call it a pub!) not too many...26 cases last week. SWMBO Says I have to stop when I get to 200. I love that woman. I never drank much till I started brewing again...Now I drink almost every night...just because I need the room on the shelves.
This weekend I intend to buy SWMBO a $1500 fridge...just so I can drill holes in the door of the old one and rip out the shelves.
:D and for me...I'd say this is not really one of the more passionate things I do.

This is definetely(spelling) an all consuming hobby for myself. I love snowboarding but did not get out once this year because every time I had some extra cash I just went and bought a carboy or some ingredients or a bunch of small crap for brewing.

oh and not to mention that I hate gardening but I spend 5 hours the other day I had off to plant my rhizomes

BigKahuna said:
This weekend I intend to buy SWMBO a $1500 fridge...just so I can drill holes in the door of the old one and rip out the shelves..

Ok, every guy who has done this raise their hand. :rockin:

It's amazing how easy it is to agree with SWMBO on a new fridge when you secretly want the old one in the garage.

In Beersmith my upnext file has about 6 different beers, plus I am planning at least two different meads.

I have hops planted and just ordered several fruit trees and bushes to plant to supply my mead and wine making. The hops are at my parents farm but the rest are going on our small city lot.

I spend atleast an hour but more like 2-3 on HBT every day. And I'm drooling over Bobby_M's shinny keggle even thought I think the time spent on it was completely unnecessary. :D

Craig

Well I have over 200 lbs of DME, about 4 lbs of assorted hops in the freezer, over a dozen varieties of unused and several dozen vials of washed yeast on hand in my beer fridge...there's 2 kegs on tap in the kegerator, 8 more in the keezer with 7-8 more outside waiting their turn, and about 12 cases of assorted potent potables (beers, ciders and meads) aging in storage, but I have no idea about any obsession...:D

Hello 11,000 posts!!!!!!

EdWort said:
Ok, every guy who has done this raise their hand. :rockin:

It's amazing how easy it is to agree with SWMBO on a new fridge when you secretly want the old one in the garage.

Duh - I didn't get on the first post of BigKahuna. How devilishly caniving!! :rockin:

I'm a newbie to brewing. My first batch was on 1/28 and batch #4 is already in the fermenter. I love this hobby as much as I love cooking! I have given up on other hobbies./forums and check out two homebrew forums each day. My next three beers are planned and in the fridge. I'm culturing yeast already and have four hops plants in the garden. Obsession? hmm maybe... but I do love this hobby.

Welcome to HBT, Beerbeque! I'm pretty new too but went ahead thanks largely to HBT and my roommate.

I wouldn't call it an obsession (yet) but rather the lubrication that keeps my other engines running. I told the gf that I was starting to run low on projects. Then it struck me that most of my ideas are grown from, um, different perspectives.

Given that, I like good beer but can't afford to keep it on tap all the time when I can make it on my own plus the craft appeal.

For the moment, I'm going to be stocking up in case I get accepted into Google Summer of Code. If I do, i'll need a stock pile to maintain the Ballmer Curve (http://xkcd.com/323/ for those not-in-the-know). If not, well, looks like I'll be doing a lot of yard work.

iggy_fenton said:
Unfortunately my obsession is deeper than my pocket book at the moment........... :(

+1...I had to have the conversation with SWMBO about "when's it going to end? How far will this go?"

I thought she was on board.........:(

tuckferrorists said:
WOW, what's the story on that?

Hah, not much story. I lived in Florida, decided I wanted to brew for a living. No breweries within 150 miles of me. I decided to move to Denver with no job prospects, no connections, not really knowing anybody at all. I also left behind a girlfriend of 4 years (well, temporarily left behind). So I decided all of this last October. Moved at the beginning of November. I am obviously an impulsive guy, but this was actually all fueled by a real passion for brewing and a real passion to succeed in the industry.

tuckferrorists said:
+1...I had to have the conversation with SWMBO about "when's it going to end? How far will this go?"

I thought she was on board.........:(

She is, she's just jealous of your new lovers.... those single celled organisms called yeast. Pay more attention to her and maybe buy her something (not beer or a bowling ball with your name on it).

Or give her apfelwein. Then Edmund Fitzgerald.

I have 300lbs of grain, 4 lbs of hops, and 30 gallons fermenting right now.

I have 14 cases of bottles, and I literally cannot drink enough beer in a week to have enough empties to bottle, so things are going to start spending more time in secondaries.....

Latest posts

Back