CO2 tank almost empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8string

Reaction score
Im just started kegging. Is there any reason my tank would already be in the red zone (order gas) after only 1 and 1/4 kegs. I thought a 5 lb tank would last for 5 or 6 kegs at least. I force carbed them both, and checked for leaks at the start. Does force carbing use up alot of CO2? or do you think I've got a leak?

Ive got a dual output regulator, but only one keg hooked up right now. The 2nd gas hose has been connected the whole time. It has only been about 3 weeks. What's up?

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Is there a troubleshooting process or any threads on the subject of leak detection? I'll probably just have to use my noggin I guess.

8string said:
Yeah, that's what I suspected. Is there a troubleshooting process or any threads on the subject of leak detection? I'll probably just have to use my noggin I guess.

Soapy water. Bubbles=leak.

yeah I know the soapy water thing, thats how I tested it before. The keg held pressure. Could the leak be from the regulator? I'll check it all again.

Is the tank in the fridge with the kegs? If so, weigh the tank. If it's still 4 pounds over the tare weight stamped on the tank, you're still full and the tank pressure was just lowered by the temp.

This is seriously one of the most frequent questions.

And the most common leak point is the connection to the tank. I still run a check every time I connect a fresh tank because the difference between a leak and sealed is only 1/8 of a turn, but I galled the connector once over-tightening.

Be sure to check the regulator...especially the gauges attched to it. I slowly lost 2 x 20lbs tanks of CO2 before realizing that my brand new regulator had a leak where the high pressure gauge screws in.

Rhino

Right on, I checked the whole system for leaks with soapy water last night. No bubbles/leaks visible, unless they were so small I missed them. I wondered if the "leak detector" solution that ive seen for sale is worth it, does anyone use this stuff?

But ultimately I was thinking that it might have something to do with the temperature. I noticed that it went down immediately when I first put it in the fridge. So hopefully that is the culprit. Should I pull it out to recalibrate it, then put it back in before turning the gas back on? If anyone knows of the links to other threads, i'd be grateful. But Id me most grateful to know that there are no leaks! Thanks

As my post said earlier, the tank pressure is directly proportional to the temp. Weigh the tank to find out how much Co2 you have in the tank. A 5lb tank amazingly holds 5 pounds of CO2 ;-)

The only scale I have is my small electronic one that only goes to 6 lbs. What is the weight of an empty cylinder? You need that number first, right?

Yep, ive got a leak at the point where the regulator screws on to the tank. I'll see if plumber's teflon tape will work.

Could it be the plastic washer on the regulator was put in the wrong way? It is different on both sides. Or maybe I didnt have it screwed on tight enough to seat the washer.

Bobby_M said:
Is the tank in the fridge with the kegs? If so, weigh the tank. If it's still 4 pounds over the tare weight stamped on the tank, you're still full and the tank pressure was just lowered by the temp.

This is seriously one of the most frequent questions.

+5

Here's a post made explaining it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=383878&postcount=13

And the whole thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39199

8string said:
Yep, ive got a leak at the point where the regulator screws on to the tank. I'll see if plumber's teflon tape will work.

Bad news; That won't work. that joint is sealed by compression of the seal disc. The threads on the regulator side, never even engage the regulator stem, and cannot be sealed. Get a new disc (or 3), and make sure it's installed and compressed properly.

It turned out to be not screwed on tight enough. I've got it sealed good now. Im not sure if I had it that loosely screwed on or not for the last few weeks, so I may have been losing gas all that time. But tank is at 750 PSI after sitting all day at room temp. Either way, I learned a lot of the nuances of kegging today. Thanks

8string said:
Im just started kegging. Is there any reason my tank would already be in the red zone (order gas) after only 1 and 1/4 kegs. I thought a 5 lb tank would last for 5 or 6 kegs at least. I force carbed them both, and checked for leaks at the start. Does force carbing use up alot of CO2? or do you think I've got a leak?

Ive got a dual output regulator, but only one keg hooked up right now. The 2nd gas hose has been connected the whole time. It has only been about 3 weeks. What's up?

Want to know something funny? I bought a full tank about a year and a half ago, pushed three sanke's and 7 cornies since then. The needle's been hovering right over the red refill line since about 4 kegs ago and if it has gone down at all it's imperceptible to me. I've also used the same bottle to purge headspace and push beer for a couple of rackings.

So you must have a leak somewhere. That said, I have now officially jinxed myself because the last corny I force carbed went flat after a day; I just refit everything I could and re-hooked up the CO2--how much you want to bet I'll come home to an empty bottle tomorrow night :)

Back