my hops have arrived!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southern brewer

Reaction score
My hops are here!
Got a cascade, centenial, kent golding (i think), and one other (can't remember which)
put them in the pots 4 days ago and now my impatience for aging beer has been transfered to slow growing hop rhyzomes

Grow damnit! Maybe if i go check in another hour, i'll see some coming up lol

Congratz! You probably will see then start to grow VERY soon. 2 days after i planted my cascade is already poking out!

What part of the south do you brew in?? I'm in B'ham, AL and I'm trying Cascade, Willamette, and Sterling for the first time and I'm curious how they will turn out in a hot southern summer.

mdowns63 said:
What part of the south do you brew in?? I'm in B'ham, AL and I'm trying Cascade, Willamette, and Sterling for the first time and I'm curious how they will turn out in a hot southern summer.

I'm about 6 hours further south then you. i'm on the coast in Mississippi (Ocean Springs, near Biloxi).

I'm trying to grow cascade, centenial, mt hood, and golding. when i chose which to buy, i looked at what type of weather the hop grows well in. all four of mine were reported as being able to grow well in all climates. I'ld like to say i will just sit and wait and see how they do, but curiosity and concern got the best of me. I have a small greenhouse on my window so i dug up 2 of the hops (CAREFULLY!)and put them in smaller pots and put them in the greenhouse. I noticed that neither of these 2 had any growth since the time i planted them. So i dug up the other two and put them 2 inches under the soil (instead of 4) and formed a better mound for them to grow in. But with these two, i noticed that they are growing so I defanitely felt better about it.

I swear i check my hops about 5 times a day...as if they are going to suddenly pop up a foot from nothing lol. but i managed to catch the slightest growth from the ground. i'm talkin like 1/16th of an inch. its barely topping the surface! my mt hood beat the cascade, centenial, and golding out of the dirt! I planted them in 14 inch pots using miracle grow flower potting soil. i water them daily and use miracle grow fertilizer on it 2-3 times a week. Here comes the hops, here comes the hops!

I know your joy. Just got my rhizomes the other day. You know, the one nice thing about growing hops is that in the grand scheme of the growing season, aging your beer 3-8 weeks doesn't seem so long anymore. :cross:

My poor hops won't grow because they are confused. most of last week, it was an average of 65 deg at night. this week it has started out with lows in the low 40s. its been like this all winter long except lows would go from the 20s - 50s. still waiting on 3 of them to grow and the 1 that has popped up hasn't moved an awful lot since it broke ground.

southern brewer said:
My poor hops won't grow because they are confused. most of last week, it was an average of 65 deg at night. this week it has started out with lows in the low 40s. its been like this all winter long except lows would go from the 20s - 50s. still waiting on 3 of them to grow and the 1 that has popped up hasn't moved an awful lot since it broke ground.

where are you located at that sounds exactly like the weather here in memphis.

I had nothing showing this morning but when I got home from work I had a sprout sticking a half inch out of the soil in my Willamette.

Awesome.

Last week, there were two days that started with frost on the ground & hit 80+ in the afternoon. All my hops are up, but not very far.

The weather is real wierd this winter.

I just set up my automatic watering system for my hop plants. Bought a timer to put my hose on. beginning at 8am and ending at 8pm, every 2 hours, it turns on my hose to water my hops for about 5 minutes (the hose is barely turned on). the hose connects to 1/2" pvc line. for every pot i have, there is a T connection where a bit of soaker hose comes off of the main line to water that pot. I did it with all 4 of my pots and later today i'm going to adapt this system a little further to water the rest of my herb garden (herbs attract ladybugs and they eat aphids). I decided to water them like this because i noticed that if i made 3 or 4 trips outside a day to dampen the soil on the pots, i get more growth. Since starting this ritual 4 days ago, i've seen 2 other hops break the soil and a third one spring 3 other vines. I'ld post a picture of the setup but i don't have my webspace set up for my ISP and i'm too lazy to do it now lol

Latest posts

Back