Ed's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Should I brew this, after being on this forum for a few months now, I see this everywhere? Is it a must for the homebrewer?

Well, 2464 replies and 173,470 views to the Apfelwein thread say you should at least give it a shot :)

But seriously though, I love it. Some people find that it's not their thing ... but if you like a dry, crisp, refreshing beverage, then go for it!

go buy a six pack of hard cider and see if you like it first

I made 5 gallons only to discover that I've got a lifetime supply of beautiful sparkly Apfelwein that tastes like ass and will likely never drink

Mutilated1 said:
go buy a six pack of hard cider and see if you like it first

I made 5 gallons only to discover that I've got a lifetime supply of beautiful sparkly Apfelwein that tastes like ass and will likely never drink

Good advice. While I like it, it was not popular among my friends and family. Took me a LONG time to kill 5 gallons.

dont' get too excited about it when you throw it in the carboy. mine has been fermenting strong for 4 weeks with no sign of slowing down. + apparently it takes some bottle time to mellow. 2 month project.

Mine took over 6 weeks to clear, and I didn't bother bottling it off the primary until it had been in there over 8 weeks. Don't plan on doing this unless you have a spare 5 gal carboy sitting around that you can afford to have full for at least 4-6 weeks.

Aside from that, yes, you should do this. I like it alot. I bottled mine still, in 12oz bottles. It's a nice refresher served over ice for me, and the wife loves it on the rocks with a splash of lemon-lime soda. I'm waiting to do another batch until we're about halfway done with this one, but I don't think that'll be too long.

Apfelwein ain't cider, and don't plan on having a drink that's sweet. It's a wine, and it's dry like a white wine, which I love.

I bought a couple 1 gallon jugs with airlock caps. That way I could do a small batch as a trial. I spent about $15 for everything (jug, cap, yeast, juice, dextrose). But I imagine that you could just do it in an empty carboy that you aren't using. I didn't have an available one. I took advantage of having two jugs, and made two slightly different recipes.

apfelwein.jpg

I plan on using the gear for other experiments.

Mine has been a 4 weeks and a few days and I took a hydrometer sample last night, its nice and clear and was 996 and tasting pretty good. I chilled the sample and downed it right before bed, you can tell its got some kick to it. Nice warm feeling and tasted good. I am going to give it a week or two yet and add a pound of lactose for the SWMBO and keg and carb it.

Come on guys another apflewien thread? Though let me say this stuff is great. Remember its WINE not apple juice. I think a lot of folks think its going to be sweet. And it really changes. Every week it gets milder.

I keg mine after 4 weeks, carb for a week and start drinking. It's the SWMBO favorate drink now.

Once I start drinking a keg of it I make another batch because the stuff does not stick around long. :drunk:

Back